home.pl hosting – virtual server 403 error when creating secure.htaccess file

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free home.pl hosting – virtual server 403 error when creating secure.htaccess file

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bouvetoya
    Participant

Hello

I installed your plugin on my virtual server (hosted as Polish ISP home.pl) and once I started to set it up (generating default and secure htaccess files) I got a 403 error and couldn’t access my admin panel anymore. I deleted the htaccess file and followed your troubleshooting steps but I was unable to find a fix. I also tried changing chmod to the suggested one and it also didn’t help.

Since I strongly believe this is an issue related to my ISP, not your great plugin, I set up another WP 4 instance to let you investigate the issue. How can I send you a private message with WP credentials (ftp and WP login)? I wish I purchased the pro version of your plugin but I need to get through this first, I guess.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Go to the BPS System Info page and post this System Info about your website/server:

Server Type:
    Operating System:
    WP Filesystem API Method:
    Server API:

Bouvetoya
    Participant

Hi, thanks for your fast reply. Here you are:

Server Type: IdeaWebServer/v0.80 (like Apache)
    Operating System: Linux
    WP Filesystem API Method: direct
    Server API: ucgi5 CGI Host Server Type

Greetings!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I am not familiar with this Server Type:  IdeaWebServer/v0.80 (like Apache)

Try this first:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#internal-server-error

If that does not work then contact your host and send them the BPS root htaccess file and ask them if there is any code in the root htaccess file that will not work or is not allowed on that Server Type.

Bouvetoya
    Participant

Hi

Ok, here’s a fix. I was told to change FilesMatch directive (all of them in the .htaccess files) to Files ie. :

<FilesMatch "^(wp-config\.php|php\.ini|php5\.ini|readme\.html|bb-config\.php)">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    #Allow from 88.77.66.55
    </FilesMatch>

to:

<Files "^(wp-config\.php|php\.ini|php5\.ini|readme\.html|bb-config\.php)">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
    #Allow from 88.77.66.55
    </Files>

Could you please confirm that doesn’t change the plugin’s functionality?
    Greetings 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The Files and FilesMatch directives do the exact same thing.  The only difference is that the FilesMatch directive allows you to use Regular Expressions and Files does not allow using Regular Expressions.

Bouvetoya
    Participant

Hi

One more question. When I activate the “Website wp-admin Folder .htaccess Security Mode” I get a grey page at my WP-admin (when I try to login) stating:

(my domain here) 403 Forbidden Error Page
    If you arrived here due to a search or clicking on a link click your Browser’s back button to return to the previous page. Thank you.
    IP Address: (here my IP address appears)

How can I avoid that?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Logically you would do the same thing in the wp-admin htaccess file/code that you did in your root htaccess file/code.  Change/replace any/all FilesMatch code/directives with Files code/directives.

# BEGIN BPS WPADMIN DENY ACCESS TO FILES
    <FilesMatch "^(install\.php)">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
    #Allow from 88.77.66.55
    </FilesMatch>
    # END BPS WPADMIN DENY ACCESS TO FILES

# BEGIN BPS WPADMIN DENY ACCESS TO FILES
    <Files "^(install\.php)">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from all
    #Allow from 88.77.66.55
    </Files>
    # END BPS WPADMIN DENY ACCESS TO FILES

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.