BackUpWordPress plugin causes wp-admin htaccess to be deleted

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free BackUpWordPress plugin causes wp-admin htaccess to be deleted

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nicki
    Participant

Hi,

I wonder if you can help with a strange problem I’m having with a website. I’ve not noticed this on other websites, and as a heads-up the website in question is on a lightspeed server.

I activate them ok. When checking the wp-admin folder the .htaccess file is there for both places. However as soon as I run a backup with the backupwordpress plugin I immediately get the alert at the top of the screen saying there is no .htaccess file in the wp-admin folder. When I check via ftp, the .htaccess has mysteriously disappeared.

I can’t find any help or posts about this issue, have you any idea what might be causing this to happen? These are manual backups, is it likely to also happen with a scheduled backup when I won’t know if the .htaccess has been deleted?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this,
    Nicki

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I checked the code in the most current version of BackUpWordPress released 3 days ago and I do not see any code that intentionally deletes the wp-admin .htaccess file so I will have to test the BackUpWordPress plugin on a testing site to see what is happening.  Will post the results after testing.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have tested the BackUpWordPress plugin and have confirmed that it is deleting the wp-admin .htaccess file when a backup is run and this BPS Alert is being displayed.

BPS Pro Alert! An htaccess file was NOT found in your wp-admin folder. Check the BPS Pro Security Status page for more specific information.

I tried excluding the wp-admin .htaccess file from being backed up by BackUpWordPress plugin and that did not fix the problem.  You will need to contact the BackUpWordPress folks and find out why the wp-admin .htaccess file is being deleted.  I suspect that is being intentionally done because it causes some kind of problem for the BackUpWordPress plugin.

For now you will have to activate wp-admin BulletProof Mode again each time you run a backup until the BackUpWordPress folks can create a solution or provide a workaround.

Another problem that I found in the BackUpWordPress plugin that is not affecting BPS, but is a problem that needs to be fixed in the BackUpWordPress plugin is this:

BackUpWordPress creates a massive php error/dump. It appears that the php error is dumping the entire DB backup INSERT INTO string into the php error log.  Depending on the size of your website’s database will determine the size of that php error.  Example:  the php error could be anywhere from 1MB to 100MB or larger if your database is larger than 100MB.

[16-Jan-2015 19:44:10 UTC] WordPress database error MySQL server has gone away for query INSERT INTO odkh36_options (option_name, option_value, autoload) VALUES ('_transient_hmbkp_directory_filesizes', 'a:14856:……………………
    Nicki
    Participant

Thank you for your help. I have found it is happening on another site of mine as well. I have put a support question in to the backupwordpress forum and will post back here if there’s a reply and solution.

Thanks again!

Nicki
    Participant

Just an update, the author of backupwordpress is about to release an update which he says will fix the problem of the wp-admin .htaccess file being deleted when backups are triggered. He was able to replicate the problem himself. Please see this thread here https://wordpress.org/support/topic/backupwordpress-is-deleting-wp-admin-htaccess-file?replies=9#post-6489964 for more information.

Thanks.

Tony Payne
    Participant

Good to know that, nice to see the problem identified and fixed. I had noticed that the .htaccess file was getting deleted after I did an update, but I never associated it with BackupWordpress.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.