BPS Pro-Tools 404 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BPS Pro-Tools 404 error

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Paul D.
    Participant

I just noticed “BPS Pro-Tools”  in the BPS Pro “menu”. When I clicked on it, it shows a 404 Page not found. The path is/wp-admin/bulletproof-security/admin/tools/tools.php but I don’t see any  “bulletproof-security” folder there.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You should be seeing this path – /wp-admin/admin.php?page=bulletproof-security/admin/tools/tools.php.  If you do not see that path then something on your website is breaking or blocking the link.  Or maybe your host has quarantined the tools.php file or blocked it.  One of the tools in Pro-Tools is a base64 decoder and encoder and some security plugins and hosts see the file as malicious.

Paul D.
    Participant

Am I better off with or without BPS Pro-Tools  ? Or do I need to contact the  host if  they quarantined it ? What should I tell them to do ?

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Well you do not need Pro-Tools as far as security goes.  Pro-Tools are a collection of bonus tools.  2 more have been added in BPS Pro 5.7.  Have you checked to see if the tools.php file is actually there?

Paul D.
    Participant

I only see 4 files in the folder where it should be .

.htaccess
    b64.zip
    bps_b64_decode.txt
    string_replacer_log.txt

tools.php is not there

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Then my guess was correct.  Your web host has quarantined the file.  Please contact your Host and ask them to whitelist this file.  Or if you have another security plugin that has quarantine capability then let me know.  As far as I know BPS Pro is the only plugin that has this capability.

Paul D.
    Participant

Okay thanks. BPS Pro is the only security plugin there =)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If your Host is using this Server scanner:  CXS scanner then they need to upgrade to the latest version.  There was a known problem many months ago with this scanner where it was flagging the tools.php file as malicious.  Please let me know either way what the name of the Server software/app/scanner is so that I can document it here.  Thanks.

Paul D.
    Participant

I informed the webhost Tech Support of this discussion thread and he said he will whitelist the folder/file later today after we can verify some cpanel account info. He didn’t mention about their scanner though.

Paul D.
    Participant

webhost have whitelisted the file (specifically tools.php) but did not restore it or fixed the path… how do I fix the WP Dashboard path and the tools.php without affecting the whole site ?

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Reinstall the BPS Pro zip file using the BPS Pro Upload Zip installer.  DO NOT USE the WordPress Upload Zip installer.  Your settings will not be changed.  If you are NOT excluding the /plugins folder from being checked by ARQ then do the standard ARQ procedural steps for updating/upgrading plugins.

Paul D.
    Participant

okay .. with that, you mean the “Install/Backup” feature in the BPS Pro dashboard ? I did exclude plugins folder (and some folders too).. so if I did exclude folders, i’ll do the steps with the excluding thing all over again ?

Thank you for the superb and prompt support.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, the BPS Pro Install / Backup menu link/page contains an Upload Zip installer designed specifically for BPS Pro upload zip installations.

If you have excluded the /plugins folder from being checked by ARQ then you do not need to do the standard ARQ procedural steps and you can just install all plugins as you would normally do without having to do anything else.

No, you would not have to do anything else and nothing will change.  Just reinstall the bulletproof-security.zip file.

Paul D.
    Participant

Thank you !

Paul D.
    Participant

Here’s the scenario:

I informed webhost tech support of changes regarding this issue : http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bps-pro-tools/

They fixed that for us BUT after deploying clone (from the same setup) to the same domain (after that domain messed up with testing done), the BPS Pro-Tools link that was supposed to be “whitelisted” is now again back to the same state as the link above.

My question is : can BPS Pro overwrite webhost’s php.ini ? If so, how? If BPS-Pro can make the changes with webhost’s php.ini, then can we  just do the changes without bothering the webhost tech support ?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.