Really Simple Captcha – captcha not working

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Really Simple Captcha – captcha not working

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Jey Davis
    Participant

I have the free version of BPS and recently installed “Really Simple Captcha” – apparently it accesses the HT Access file. So is BPS the reason my captcha plugin is not working? Is there a setting I can use to allow Really Simple Captcha, if so? I am not a programmer – just a person who has figured some of these things out and has a blog. HELP!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I looked at the description of the plugin and it does not appear to use htaccess files.  Check your BPS Security Log file and post any security log entries that are related to the Really Simple Captcha plugin if you see any.  I will download and test this plugin and see if there are any issues/problems with BPS.

Lisa Jey Davis
    Participant

Thank you for the information. I will check my logs. I didn’t know the plugin utilized HT Access files, but in few support threads where the plugin wasn’t working, people referenced that it was accessing it… Here is one such comment:

I was having issues with this as well and noticed an error in the access logs saying that the

<span id="ea34284b-da4c-4c0f-a442-f19804c531b1" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark"> .</span><span id="4aff7f69-c42b-4d81-acf1-0aab8120c9e8" class="GINGER_SOFTWARE_mark">htaccess</span> file (generated by the plugin in /uploads/wpcf7_captcha) wasn't readable.

Okay – this may sound utterly ridiculous, but I just went to BPS in my control panel and cannot see where to view the logs. ?? OY.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Tested and it works for me, but I have to say it took me a really long time to figure out how this plugin is supposed to work since there is no help information and the plugin’s support area does not really state what you are supposed to do to use this plugin.  I installed Contact Form 7 since the Really Simple Captcha plugin works with other Contact Form plugins and is specifically designed to work with Contact Form 7 since the plugin author has created both of these plugins.

This may save someone else a lot of time wandering around looking for help that does not exist anywhere that I could find help/it.

1.  Install Contact Form 7.
    2.  Click the Add New link to create a new form.
    3.  Click the Generate Tag button to create the Captcha shortcode/code.
    4.  Copy that captcha shortcode / code to your Form editing window.
    5.  Click the Save button to save the code.
    6. If you have not created a Contact Form page then create that page and add the Contact Form 7 shortcode in your Contact Form page.

The captcha shortcode/code will look similar to this code below.

[captchac captcha-897 size:l]
    [captchar captcha-897]
    Lisa Jey Davis
    Participant

OMG thank you!  I did that, but — so don’t think this is that unusual — but I have no idea where to paste that code to? HA! I pasted it into the same spot on the Contact Page where the form code goes, but it just shows up as that code now on my contact page.

Never mind. I didn’t read your instruction correctly. THANK YOU Will go and do this now!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I doubled checked and the Really Simple Captcha plugin does do one thing with an .htaccess file.  This plugin creates a folder under your /wp-content/uploads/ folder called /wpcf7_captcha/.  In that folder 3 files are created:  .htaccess, 488940512.png and 488940512.txt.  The .htaccess file is designed to allow all files in this folder to be readable and writable to prevent the possibility of another .htaccess file in a parent folder causing these files not to be readable/writable.  Or in other words. blocked.

Lisa Jey Davis
    Participant

Okay… That makes sense! *nods as if she knows what you are talking about*… LOL

Just for SEO purposes, I am stating this (don’t know if it’s necessary).  “My Really Simple Captcha isn’t showing up” — this problem has been solved because the steps you listed worked! Now my Contact Form 7 and Really Simple Captcha work perfectly!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, that will help someone else if they use that search term in this forum’s search window.  😉

Yep, I had to stare at the Contact Form 7 plugin for a while until I said, “ok if I created this plugin where would I put a captcha code generator”.  The Generate Tag button became visible to me where before it was completely invisible to me. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.