Plugins Have Disappeared After Updating – All Plugin Files Have Been Quarantined

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Plugins Have Disappeared After Updating – All Plugin Files Have Been Quarantined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Chris Moon
    Participant

Ed after updating to v8.3 I noticed that all my plugins have disappeared from some of my sites. The files are physically there and permissions unchanged at 0755 but not visable in the WP plugin folder. How should I proceed

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

Instead of getting into how the problem occurred you get to try out the new Quarantine Sort/Search feature that was created for just this problem.  After the files are restored from Quarantine then we will figure out what caused the problem.  There are only 3 possible causes.

NOTE:  If BPS Pro plugin files were also sent to Quarantine then go to the WordPress Plugins page to automatically deactivate all plugins.  Delete the /bulletproof-security plugin folder using FTP, reinstall BPS Pro using the WordPress Upload zip installer, go to the WordPress plugins page and activate the BPS Pro plugin.  You can now go to Quarantine and do the steps below.

Source:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#quarantine-sort

Issue/Problem:  All Plugin or Theme files Sent to Quarantine Due to Some Error or Problem

Solution: As of BPS Pro 8.3 a new Quarantine Sort/Search feature has been added to Quarantine that allows you to sort files by plugin folder name or theme folder name. If the total number of files in Quarantine exceeds 200, an error message will be displayed with a link to this help information. The reason this new Sort/Search feature is necessary is that when trying to restore an extremely large number of files from Quarantine all at the same time (all plugin files) the restore may or may not complete successfully. What will ALWAYS complete successfully every time is using the Sort/Search feature to restore entire plugin’s or theme’s files by each plugin or theme folder name.

How to Use Quarantine Sort/Search to Restore Files in Quarantine by plugin folder name. For this example I will using these example plugin folder names: pluginA, pluginB and pluginC. All plugin files for pluginA, pluginB and pluginC have been sent to Quarantine.  Plugin folder names/paths are displayed under the Quarantine “Source Path – File was Quarantined from this location” table column.  Example Plugin path/folder name: /xxxx/xxxx/wp-content/plugins/pluginA/example-plugin-filename.php.  Example Theme path/folder name:  /xxxx/xxxx/wp-content/themes/themeA/example-theme-filename.php

IMPORTANT NOTE:  If you restore files from Quarantine and they are quarantined again then there is a problem with your AutoRestore Exclude rules.  Go to the AutoRestore page, Turn Off AutoRestore and correct your AutoRestore Exclude rules on the Exclude wp-content Folders page before continuing to restore files from Quarantine.

1. Copy the folder name of pluginA, which is “pluginA” in this example to the Quarantine Sort/Search window and click the Sort/Search button.
    2. The results of that Sort/Search are you will see all plugin files for pluginA ONLY.
    3. Click the Restore File CheckAll checkbox to select all pluginA files.
    4. Click the Submit button to restore all pluginA’s files back to the /pluginA plugin folder.
    5. Repeat these steps above for pluginB and pluginC.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed I’ve now been able to recover my plugins but I’ve got problems with my themes, all 4 themes in my folder have lost their style sheets however the style sheets aren’t in quarantine .

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It sounds like something is wrong with URL rewriting and not actually your Theme stylesheets.  Activate root and wp-admin folder BulletProof Modes.  If that does not fix the problem then check your BPS Security Log and post the log entry that shows what is being blocked.

Also did you reactivate all of your Plugins on the WordPress Plugins page?  Maybe one of your plugins does something with the visual appearance of your site?  Or your Theme uses a bundled Theme plugin that does that?

Chris Moon
    Participant

Recreated/deployed root htaccess
    Plugins activated on the plugin’s page
    Here’s the security log (there were 63 enteries exatly the same  – only copied one) there’s also an error message in the WP dashboard:
    An automated WordPress update has failed to complete – don’t know if that’s relevant

[403 GET / HEAD Request: March 27, 2014 4:28 am]
    Event Code: BFHS - Blocked/Forbidden Hacker or Spammer
    Solution: N/A - Hacker/Spammer Blocked/Forbidden
    REMOTE_ADDR: 74.86.158.106
    Host Name: 74.86.158.106-static.reverse.softlayer.com
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR:
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER:
    REQUEST_URI: /
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0+(compatible; UptimeRobot/2.0; http://www.uptimerobot.com/)
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Is your site/Theme displaying visually correct now?

To whitelist the UptimeRobot you can do either of these methods:
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/split-uptimerobot-whitelist-uptimerobot-bot/page/2/#post-7168
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/split-uptimerobot-whitelist-uptimerobot-bot/page/2/#post-8003

Whatever caused the WordPress automatic update from failing to complete could be the cause for why all plugin files were sent to quarantine. At this point I would like to log into this site to see if these issues are being caused by something you have installed on this website (some sort of remote management plugin or service) or it is some kind of Server problem. ie your Host changed something on your Server recently. Send an Administrator login to this website to: edward at ait-pro dot com.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I received your login information @ 6am and will be logging into the site in a few minutes.  Will post again with the cause and solution of the issue/problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I checked your Quarantine Log and your Theme files were sent to Quarantine.  The only logical explanation I found for why they may not have been displayed to you in Quarantine is that this Theme folder name is not valid.  You cannot have blank/whitespace in a folder name since that is not a valid folder or file naming convention on a webserver and in general.

Name Description
    Twenty Fourteen/Standard v1.4/wordpressreviewtheme v1.4 Template is missing.
    wordpressreviewtheme v1.4 Stylesheet is missing.

I installed the Twenty Thirteen Theme on your website and your website is no longer displaying blank.  To fix the problem FTP to your website and delete any/all theme folders and upload or reinstall your Themes.  IMPORTANT!!!  rename your Standard v1.4 and wordpressreviewtheme v1.4 Theme folder names to valid folder names.  My recommendation is to use a hyphen/dash:  Standard-v1.4 and wordpressreviewtheme-v1.4.

I am not sure why you have nested theme folders, but I assume this has something to do with Child Themes???

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed appreciate your help. I’m wondering what could have provoked all my plugins and themes being sent to Quarantine. I’ve had this site for a number of years with the same plugins, running the same theme and have updated BPS Pro numerous times without problems any idea what could have gone wrong this time? BTW this has happend to 4 out of 15 of my sites

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I did not find any obvious causes for this on your site.  How did you do the upgrade.  Did you by any chance update all plugins and themes by going to the WordPress Updates page?  If so, then that will definitely cause this problem because you would be installing BPS Pro from the AIT-pro.com API Server and other plugins and themes at the same time from the WordPress.org API Server.  What happens in that scenario since you are installing from 2 different API Servers on the Internet is WordPress takes over and our API Server no longer has any control of the BPS Pro upgrade.  We have prevented BPS Pro from being available to be updated on the WordPress Updates page in a previous version of BPS Pro so that scenario would no longer occur.

Chris Moon
    Participant

That sounds very plausible now you mention it I think I did rush updates on the sites which gave problems will remember to update from the plugin page in the future.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Personally I would never update more than 1 plugin or theme at a time.  I am old school Microsoft trained so I still follow the standard Microsoft philosophy of ONLY installing 1 thing at a time, which makes sense from a Tech/Engineer standpoint – problem isolation to one specific application instead of having to troubleshoot multiple possible problems.  When you install more than one application at a time the risk of installation conflicts & problems increases exponentially.

This problem popped up randomly for a long while and we were stumped at what was causing it.  We never considered that folks would be upgrading BPS Pro from the AIT-pro.com API Server at the same time they were upgrading other plugins and themes from the WordPress.org API Server because logically that would not work correctly and cause problems.  Once we did isolate the cause we created code in BPS Pro 8.2 that prevents the BPS Pro plugin from displaying on the WordPress Updates page so that BPS Pro could not be installed at the same time as other plugins and themes from another Server on the Internet – the WordPress API Server.

Bill
    Participant

Hello,

I just encountered an issue with my site. I continue to get security alerts so I began to exclude files from the ARC scan. Now out of now where my site seems to have reverted to it’s original in stall state, no plugins of any kind. So in essence I am locked out of my site and can see no way to retyrn to where I was. So, I was wondering if you could help?

Thanks
    Bill

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Bill – your topic has been merged into this relevant Topic.  Please see above steps to correct the issue/problem:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/plugins-have-disappeared-after-updating/#post-14172

Or if BPS Pro plugin files have also been quarantined then see the Post below first.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Important Note: If you have BPS Pro 12.8 or higher versions of BPS Pro installed click this link for quickier and easier steps to fix quarantined files problems: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/website-not-loading-after-wordpress-upgrade-or-theme-upgrade-500-error-files-quarantined/. BPS Pro 12.8+ versions automatically deactivate/turn ARQ Off when the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder is renamed instead of having to use the BPS Pro XTF Form Tools to deactivate/turn ARQ Off.

In your case you may also need to do these steps first. http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#quarantine-sort

Outdated info removed – Newer method using XTF
    BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) are intended to be used when you are unable to login to your website to fix an issue/problem.  You can turn Off BPS Pro features using the XTF Form options without having to be logged into your website.

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Guide
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Video Tutorial
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#xternal-tools

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.