Updraft backup exclude folders and files from being checked by AutoRestore

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Updraft backup exclude folders and files from being checked by AutoRestore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Delete account
    Participant

I installed a new back up plugin so the files were quarantined. I restored them thinking that should over ride quarantine and basically tell it that those files were ok. So it re-quarantined them. So I went round this loop a few times until I turned ARQ off. I restored those files then I did the back ups as mentioned.  I turned it back on but for less frequent checking.

The backup plugin I’ve installed writes files into a few places. Without a directory browser in the add directory system for exclusions it makes it quite tricky to do this. Every night this back up runs quarantine will be having a fit…

Could something be added into the quarantine files list to make it much easier to exclude folders/files? Or some kind of integration offered with back up plugins so that bps pro ‘knows’ about them and can exclude certain folders easily and automatically.

The back up system I’m using is updraft. I was using idrive but that’s stopped being supported. That worked fine with quarantine apart from a php error which is what lead to its replacement.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Updated: 6-16-2017 – Copied and pasted the “AutoRestore|Quarantine steps for creating wp-content folder and single file exclude rules” below from this forum topic: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#autorestore-exclude-rules

Important Note: You should also create an exclude rule in the Updraft plugin settings to exclude the BPS Backup folder here: /wp-content/bps-backup/ from being backed up by Updraft. The BPS Backup folder should not be backed up by Updraft since the BPS Backup folder has copies of all your website files/folders used for AutoRestore|Quarantine.

Do these steps below to create an AutoRestore wp-content folder exclude rule for the updraft wp-content folder.

1. Go to the AutoRestore page and turn Off AutoRestore.
    2. Go to the Quarantine page and restore the updraft files that were quarantined.
    3. Go back to AutoRestore > click on the Exclude wp-content Folders tab page > type or copy and paste the name of the updraft wp-content folder: updraft
    4. Click the Save Folder Exclude Rules button.
    5. Turn AutoRestore back on.
    Please watch the video tutorial below for how to exclude folders and files from being checked by AutoRestore.  This video tutorial shows an older version of WordPress and BPS Pro, but the AutoRestore Exclude steps are still the same.  We are currently in the process of creating new video tutorials over the next couple of weeks.

BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine Exclude Folders & Files Video Tutorial
    How to exclude files or folders from being checked by ARQ. 99.99% of your website files are static files and typically only 2 to 5 dynamic files and folders will need to excluded from being checked by ARQ Infinity. This BulletProof Security Pro video tutorial shows how to exclude static files that are dynamically updated, how to exclude dynamic folders from being checked by ARQ and how to use the Quarantine Restore Files option.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

Delete account
    Participant

Thanks.

When you create the new video tutorials it would be good to use a linux webserver as some might find C:\ in file paths confusing as they will probably have something like /public/html etc as a file path.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, all newer video tutorials are done on one our testing/demo Hosting accounts:  Go Daddy, HostGator, etc.  instead of XAMPP.

Mark
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    I would like to know if anyone can recommend a particular plugin for backing up an entire site. I tried to use updraftplus but was having some problems with it because I think bps was trying to quarantine the backup and was therefore halting the completion of the backup (but I’m not really sure). When backing up, does bps pro need to be entirely disabled, not at all, or just some components? Thanks for any help in this regard.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Mark – If you are creating local Updraft backups on your website/server then you would need to create an AutoRestore folder exclude rule for whatever updraft backup folder you are using/have created locally.  See this BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine Exclude Folders & Files Video Tutorial for how to do that:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

The only Updraft issue I am aware of is this one:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/updraftplus-problem-php-error-from-bpspro/

We only use BPS Pro DB Backup for database backups and do not do file backups so I cannot recommend a file backup plugin.

rafaelmagic
    Participant

Exclude the following folder:  updraft

https://updraftplus.com/backups-stored/
    Exclusion directions are linked up.

Another issue is Php might create large temp files when zipping. They should in theory erase in 24 hours by the plugin

armintz
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    Yes, another annoying plugin compatibility thread, sorry! I recently installed Updraft Premium for backing up my sites.

I noticed a trend for the websites which the Updraft backup scans don’t complete… these are the same sites which seem to have thousands of files in the BPS Pro quarantine, most of which seem to be from an Updraft directory….

Checking the “Restore File” button at the top of the Quarantine page selects all the files, but clicking “Submit” at the bottom doesn’t restore them… do I really need to manually move these files via FTP? How can I prevent this from happening on other sites?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ armintz – See this forum reply in this same topic:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/quarantine-can-be-a-pain-in-the-butt/#post-27453 regarding creating an AutoRestore folder exclude rule for Updraft.

If you are unable to restore an excessive number of files in Quarantine then your particular server is basically not allowing that many files to be moved/copied at the same time.  Not much you do about your server limitation so what you need to do is one of the methods in this forum topic – under the “Issue|Problem: Excessive files Sent to Quarantine Due to Some Error or Problem” help section:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

armintz
    Participant

thanks for the always fast response.  i’ve added the exclude folder rule and am trying a few more scans now.. hopefully this fixes the issue since I paid $145 for the dev version of the plugin. i don’t really have the time/patience to go through various sites and move the quarantined files – is there any harm in keeping them in quarantine? as long as i have the exclude rule, future scans shouldn’t be affected?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can leave the files in Quarantine if you want for now or forever and they won’t cause any issues.  At some point when you have a few spare minutes you can do one of the methods posted in this forum topic to take care of the issue:   http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

armintz
    Participant

thanks. not sure if this should be a new topic, but i wasn’t able to complete updraft backup scans after blocking the updraft folder in autorestore. i WAS able to complete a test scan after deactivating bulletproof. the problem with that is that i want to automate my backups, and not do them manually. can i send you the login info to check and see if there is a remedy for this? thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, that works.  Send the login information to this site to:  info at ait-pro dot com and also all of the Updraft steps to test things so I know what to check in Updraft.  Since this issue has never been reported before for Updraft then I assume this is some kind of new code/version change thing in Updraft.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok the problem is resolved.  I logged in and created an AutoRestore folder exclude rule for the updraft folder following the steps in this topic.  Not sure why the steps did not work for you, but oh well, all done.

armintz
    Participant

thanks.

the problem was that i was putting the exclude into bps pro > quarantine > “add|exclude other folders & files” tab (then using the “Exclude Folders & Files” section and “Excluding a specific folder” option) instead of the correct way: bps pro > quarantine > Exclude WP Content Folders tab… then simply entering “updraft” into one of the blank fields and clicking the 3 buttons (save to db, create filter, exclude folders now)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.