error_log – error log file being quarantined

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro error_log – error log file being quarantined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Chris Moon
    Participant

I have 13 sites which BPS Pro is installed on and I’ve been using it now for a number of years and it’s kept my sites safe.

After updating to v9.2 ARQ has been flooding my mail box with quarantine messages and all the quarantined files were error logs, but when I checked the php error log on some of my sites there was nothing there.

I have disabled ARQ on all my sites, deleted backups and created new ones, deleted the error logs in ARQ quarantine, turned ARQ back on only to be bombed by ARQ telling me there is an error log message.

I have tested the error log and get this error:

[15-Aug-2014 03:57:47 UTC] PHP Warning:  copy() [function.copy]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/vitaminr/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/php/php-options.php on line 2977

I haven’t seen this problem prior to updating to v9.2

I’ve just realized the error code is intentional

[15-Aug-2014 10:09:35 UTC] PHP Warning: copy() [function.copy]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/si7/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/php/php-options.php on line 2977

but should add every time I “refresh status” an additional error code is added to the log and the refresh status button doesn’t disappear, the function is looping.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE:  Click this link:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/v9-2-error/page/3/#post-26297 for the steps to exclude error_log files from being checked by AutoRestore|Quarantine and repeatedly quarantined.

Nothing has changed in the BPS Pro 9.2 code regarding AutoRestore/Quarantine so something has changed on your website/server.  Most likely you just need to create an AutoRestore file exclude rule for the error log file that is being quarantined.  I assume this error log file is something new that either your host server has created or a plugin that you have installed has created.  Post an AutoRestore/Quarantine log entry.  Also how did you do the BPS Pro upgrade?  Did you click the BulletProof Security Pro update/upgrade link on the WordPress Plugins page or did you upgrade BPS Pro some other way?

How to exclude files or folders from being checked by ARQ
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

The php error you posted is the php error that is intentionally generated when you click the Test Error Log button to generate a PHP error and log that error in your PHP error log.  If you refresh your Browser after clicking the Test Error Log button then you are executing / processing the Test Error Log code each time your refresh your Browser.  That is normal to how PHP code works generally and how that specific Test Error Log Form works.

Chris Moon
    Participant

This is the file that’s suddenly getting quarantined on all my sites: /home/xxxxxx/public_html/error_log

there is no error registered in the error log file. No new plugins have been added to my sites recently and I haven’t heard of any changes to my VPS from my host. BPS Pro has been updated either through the plugins folder or via  BPS zip upload.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE:  Click this link:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/v9-2-error/page/3/#post-26297 for the steps to exclude error_log files from being checked by AutoRestore|Quarantine and repeatedly quarantined.

Ok this is exactly what I expected to see.  error_log is a default Server naming convention for a default/generic php error log file.  This default error log is either being automatically created by your Host server or by a plugin.  Since BPS Pro already comes with a php error log then you would not need to have/use an additional generic/default error_log file.  Watch the video tutorial below, which has step by step instructions on how to exclude a single file (the generic error_log file) from being checked by AutoRestore.

How to exclude files or folders from being checked by ARQ. 99.99% of your website files are static files and typically only 2 to 5 dynamic files and folders will need to excluded from being checked by ARQ. How to exclude static files that are dynamically updated, how to exclude dynamic folders from being checked by ARQ and how to use the Quarantine Restore Files option. 

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed

Chris Moon
    Participant

I’ve seen the video a couple of times, created an exclusion file rule for /home/xxxxx/public_html/error_log,  done a search to check it’s excluded  yet when I turn on ARQ it’s getting quarantined again.

Noticed there’s no file extension on /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-admin/error_log would it help if I manually add .php?

When I open the error_log file via FTP I see this

[15-Aug-2014 02:43:38 Europe/Moscow] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/mysqli.so' - /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20090626/mysqli.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on line 0
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Looks like the new video tutorial does not have instructions for how to exclude files without a file extension.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

Exception:  Handling Files With No File Extensions – If you have files that are not named with a file extension then in some cases these files will not be backed up using the Backup Files buttons (in most cases files without file extensions will be backed up by clicking the ARQ Backup Files buttons).  If these files are dynamically updated and are being quarantined on a regular basis and you want to exclude them from being checked by the ARQ Cron then you will need to manually copy the files to the relative autorestore backup folder path.  Example:  A Root file named “no-file-extension” would need to be manually copied to the relative backup folder path of /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/root-files/no-file-extension.  You can then use the Add / Exclude Static Files tool to exclude this file from being checked by ARQ.  See the example below for excluding an individual file from being checked by ARQ.

Manually copy the /home/xxxxxxx/public_html/wp-admin/error_log file to this AutoRestore backup folder:  /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/wp-admin/error_log.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed that’s done it but it’s a little time consuming doing it manually any chance of incorporating no-file-extension files in the backup in a future?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Files with no file extensions are already incorporated into all functions/code/tools that do file backups:  Setup Wizard, AutoRestore tools, etc., but on some Server types/configurations, files with no extensions are not backed up.  That is just a limitation on those particular server types/configurations and is not something that can be changed or controlled in BPS Pro code.

What we may be able to do is add an additional check for this type of issue, but if the cost is too high then we will not do that.  Website performance is a top priority so if there is a way to not use up excessive server/website resources to do an additional check for this issue then we will add it.  If it costs too much then it will not be added.

rock
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

Hi, I can’t seem to find a related post. If I made a mistake and there’s an existing topic, please move this.

The error.log files in wordpress subdirectory and wp-admin seems to be auto-quarantined repeatedly. Should I just exclude this in file exclusion options or these are dynamic files? I am not sure which option or step I should continue with this. Thanks for your help.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ rock – see this video tutorial link below for how to exclude the error log files from being checked by ARQ.

How to exclude files or folders from being checked by ARQ

rock
    Participant

Hi, it seems that I have slightly the same issue with Chris above. It seems error_logs is continuously quarantined. Now, let me detail some stuff,

A. Tried deactivating Autorestore, Backed-up files cleared logs, then activated autorestore: did not work
    B. Tried manually copying the error_logs from root and wp-admin folders generated to the equivalent autorestore folders: did not work
    C. Pressing remove excluded folders does not work, redirects page to my site homepage
    D. In the quarantine page – either restore, delete or view files then submit redirects page to site homepage
    E. The PHP errors are gone and are not reappearing at all
    G. In my CPanel, the Quarantine folder of BPS shows my excluded files and one error_log
    H. All my Plug-in files are working, No more PHP errors issue right now is only with the Quarantine.

H. The Quarantine page shows the following, with only the error_logs from root and wp-admin showing-up:

<span style="color: red;">Total number of Quarantined Files: 380</span>
    If 200+ files have been sent to Quarantine this usually means that an error or problem occurred and all plugin or theme files have been quarantined. If this is the problem that occurred click the link below for step by step instructions on how to fix this using the Quarantine Sort/Search feature.

Trying to manually copy the error_log to the autorestore equivalents doesn’t work and trying to exclude the files doesn’t work either.

Is there a possibility to manually reset the increasing number of quarantined files? The only thing I can do right now is to turn-off ARQ. Sorry to be a bother but Thanks a lot for your help.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

What are the literal names of the error log files?  ie error.log, error_log, etc.?  What is creating these error log files and logging php errors in these files?  Your Host or some other plugin?  Typically you really only want to have 1 php error log file instead of having multiple error log files throughout your website folders so I think the first thing that should be looked at is why are there multiple php error log files?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Go to the BPS Pro String Finder (not the DB String Finder) Pro-Tool and enter the literal name of the error log file for the Search String.  For the Search Path enter the path to your plugins folder.  Post the search results.

General Example (your search string file name and path will be different):
    Search String: error_log
    Search Path:  /xxxxx/xxxxx/wp-content/plugins/

rock
    Participant

Both wp-admin and wordpress directories generate “error_log”. This sql error is showing-up in “error_log”:

[30-Sep-2014 00:53:25 ] PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library '/opt/alt/php54/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so' - /opt/alt/php54/usr/lib64/php/modules/mysqli.so: undefined symbol: mysqlnd_get_client_version in Unknown on line 0
    [30-Sep-2014 00:53:25 ] PHP Warning:  Module 'pdo_mysql' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
    [30-Sep-2014 00:53:25 ] PHP Warning:  Module 'mysql' already loaded in Unknown on line 0

My main public_html directory is not generating any “error_log”. “error_log” is the only one repeatedly quarantined

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.