Weaver II Theme – unable to update a page, 403 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Weaver II Theme – unable to update a page, 403 error

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

Hi, I am trying to update a page which is having modifications to the basic page done via the theme Weaver-ii-pro. Every time I try to update it I get a security alert as follows:

[403 GET / HEAD Request: October 20, 2014 10:44 am]
    Event Code: WPADMIN-SBR
    Solution: http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/security-log-event-codes/
    REMOTE_ADDR: xx.xx.xx.xx 
    Host Name: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (removed for security purposes! the host and IP are mine)
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP: 
    HTTP_FORWARDED: 
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP: 
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: http://darlingtonmethodistdistrict.org.uk/wp-admin/post.php?post=23&action=edit&message=1
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/themes/weaver-ii-pro/editor-style-css.php?mce=1&twidth=1025&fontsize=11&fontfamily=Arial%2CHelvetica%2Csans-serif&titlefont=%22Bitstream+Charter%22%2CTimes%2Cserif&bg=%23FFFFFF&textcolor=%23000000&hdgcolor=%237A3D11&inbg=%23FFFFCD&a=%231657A1&ahover=%23E37120&table=default&list=disc&imgcapt=%23333333&imgbcolor=%23FFF8DC
    QUERY_STRING: 
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0

How can I set up some form of skip/bypass rule that will allow my theme to modify the settings?
    Thanks

Update to my recent post – I am now being blocked as a Hacker! I am wondering whether I need to whitelist my IP address or something? Please advise…

This is the latest security log:

[403 GET / HEAD Request: October 20, 2014 10:58 am]
    Event Code: BFHS - Blocked/Forbidden Hacker or Spammer
    Solution: N/A - Hacker/Spammer Blocked/Forbidden
    REMOTE_ADDR: MY IP ADDRESS
    Host Name: MY HOST NAME
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP: 
    HTTP_FORWARDED: 
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 
    HTTP_REFERER: http://darlingtonmethodistdistrict.org.uk/who-we-are/mission/mrdf/?tve=true
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/themes/weaver-ii-pro/editor-style-css.php?mce=1&twidth=1025&fontsize=11&fontfamily=Arial%2CHelvetica%2Csans-serif&titlefont=%22Bitstream+Charter%22%2CTimes%2Cserif&bg=%23FFFFFF&textcolor=%23000000&hdgcolor=%237A3D11&inbg=%23FFFFCD&a=%231657A1&ahover=%23E37120&table=default&list=disc&imgcapt=%23333333&imgbcolor=%23FFF8DC
    QUERY_STRING: 
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0/

Thanks
    Bob

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Add this wp-admin .htaccess bypass / skip rule below to the wp-admin Custom Code box – CUSTOM CODE WPADMIN PLUGIN FIXES: , click the Save wp-admin custom code button and then activate BulletProof Mode for your wp-admin folder again. The skip rule must be [S=2] because it will be written to your wp-admin .htaccess file above skip / bypass rule [S=1]. This bypass / skip rule is safe to use because the wp-admin area is protected with WP Authentication security.

# post.php skip/bypass rule
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (post\.php) [NC]
    RewriteRule . - [S=2]

This may take care of both of the issues or you may need an additional whitelist rule for the second Security Log entry. After adding the wp-admin skip/bypass rule for post.php test updating a post and let me know if everything is working correctly and check your Security Log for any NEW Security log entries.

Bob
    Participant

I added the code as you suggested and then I tried changing the size of an image on one page – checked a few minutes later and seemed to get this:

[403 GET / HEAD Request: October 20, 2014 6:14 pm]
    Event Code: BFHS - Blocked/Forbidden Hacker or Spammer
    Solution: N/A - Hacker/Spammer Blocked/Forbidden
    REMOTE_ADDR: xx.xx.xx.xx
    Host Name: myhost details
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP: 
    HTTP_FORWARDED: 
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 
    HTTP_REFERER: http://darlingtonmethodistdistrict.org.uk/who-we-are/mission/mrdf/?tve=true
    QUERY_STRING: 
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0

But the strange thing (to me at least) is that when I tried adding some text on a different page it did not trigger the security log. So I tried going back and changing the image size on the previous page again – but this time no triggering of the log??
    So, I am wondering if the security log item above is related to changing the pages or to something else I did – but I am not sure what it might be.
    What I am really trying to do though is to add a widget area on one of the pages – rather than just tweek text and images.
    I’ll continue to try to do that and see what happens.

If in the meantime the above code suggests anything else, then I would be happy to hear it…
    Thanks for your swift response,
    Bob

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok one of the Security Log entries is no longer happening for the post.php file so it is successfully being whitelisted.  Now you probably need to whitelist this file:  editor-style-css.php

Try this first (if this does not work then I will post another more complex whitelist rule):

1. Copy this code below to this BPS Root Custom Code text box:  CUSTOM CODE PLUGIN/THEME SKIP/BYPASS RULES
    2. Click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    3. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

# Weaver II Theme editor-style-css.php file skip/bypass rule
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/wp-content/themes/weaver-ii-pro/editor-style-css.php [NC]
    RewriteRule . - [S=13]
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.