xMarkPro automatic backups

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro xMarkPro automatic backups

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

I use site management software called xMarkPro. One of its features is to back up the sites automatically. I could turn it off, but it is nice to know I always have recent backups … To do this, though, it creates some temporary files on the sites in question, which BPS Pro then dutifully quarantines … and that’s interfering with xMarkPro’s ability, i.e., the automatic backups are failing.

Examples:
    /home/username/public_html/blog/wp-content/xmark_backup.zip.AQRZpM
    /home/username/public_html/blog/wp-content/xmark_dump.sql

The latter is always named the same, so it may not be a problem as I should be able to add it to the exclusions, but the former does not always have the same name. I’m wondering if you can add the ability to use a wildcard in the exclusions?, i.e., I don’t want to exclude everything in the wp-content folder, just the file(s) named xmark_backup.zip.* It uses a plugin to do this … so maybe I need to look at that, too? There are also numerous other features of xMarkPro that I can’t actually use without going to the site first and turning off the AutoRestore cron job … like for example, it lets you remotely install and remove themes and plugins, as well as the WordPress core, en masse (on all or any or your sites). It would be nice if there were some way to make the two products aware of each other (and I think I could get you in contact with the developer if you wanted) so that I wouldn’t have to manually turn off AutoRestore each time, but I realize that is probably too much to expect, and I can live with it if need be … Also, when I tried to add /home/username/public_html/blog/wp-content/xmark_dump.sql to the excluded files a minute ago, BPS Pro said it was not a valid file path. I haven’t tried to figure that out just yet, but I’m guessing that it is because the file has been quarantined and does not now exist in that path … is that right?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The simplest and best solution would be to change the backup location.  In general, good backup plugin site architecture/design ALWAYS compartmentalizes its backups and its files related to performing backups.

Example backup folder location:  /wp-content/backups

What we do is store backups under the /bps-backup/site-backups/ folder.  This way the backup folder is also protected by the Deny All .htaccess file that protects the /bps-backup/ folder.  The /bps-backup/ folder is not checked by AutoRestore/Quarantine so you would also not need to create an exclude rule for your backups folder that you create.

You can exclude the plugins and themes folders from being checked by AutoRestore – see link below.  This will allow you to remotely install plugins and themes without turning off AutoRestore.  The WordPress Core files can also be excluded, but that would the same thing as turning AutoRestore Off. The primary purpose of AutoRestore is to monitor files for any changes or modifications.  The standard ARQ procedure for updating WordPress is to turn ARQ off when updating WordPress itself, click the Backup Files buttons and turn ARQ back On.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-exclude-plugins-folder-and-themes-folder/

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.