Monotony/17 User Agent/Bot 403 error feed

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Monotony/17 User Agent/Bot 403 error feed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Schneider
    Participant

I find a lot of the following entries in my security log and I do not understand while access to the feed is blocked:

>>>>>>>>>>> 403 GET or Other Request Error Logged - 20. Juli 2013 - 10:35 <<<<<<<<<<<
    REMOTE_ADDR: someIP
    Host Name: someHost
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR:
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER:
    REQUEST_URI: /feed/
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Monotony/17 CFNetwork/596.4.3 Darwin/12.4.0 (x86_64) (MacBookPro8%2C2)

This user accesses the feed url every minute and before I block this I want to understand what causes BPS to block the access to the RSS-feed.

Any suggestions?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Question was previously asked and answered in the WordPress.org Forum:  http://wordpress.org/support/topic/403-error-while-accessing-rss-feed#post-3945074

“I do not recognize that bot/user agent: CFNetwork/596.2.3. Searching this User Agent Database: http://www.user-agents.org/cgi-bin/free-search.cgi?template=free-search-detail.html&dbname=allagents.csv&key2=id_a_f_150&action=searchdbdisplay  does show that this is a legitimate bot/user agent.

I have no idea what Monotony/17 is. It does not show any results in a Google search.

I assume what this is is a custom bot scraping thing. Monotony/17 whatever that is is trying to scrape your Feed and it is being Forbidden by BPS. There are several plugins that allow someone to grab your entire Feed automatically and display your Feed on their website. I assume this is what is being attempted and being blocked by BPS.”

This is not a person/human and is a bot/user agent that is most likely attempting to scrape your feed.  You can choose to ignore this bot/user agent on the Security Log page and not log Security Log entries when this bot/user agent is blocked by BPS or you can just ignore these blocked scraping logged events.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.