AutoRestore Exclude Dynamic Folder

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore Exclude Dynamic Folder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Larry Berger
    Participant

Hi – website in question is larrybergerphotography.com.

I have BPS Pro installed, along with a number of other plug-ins, notably W3TC. I have had some issues with it in the past related to BPS, but your team has helped out and the site has been stable a few months. I went to add some new pictures and blog posts – deactivated chron quarantine jobs, uploaded files to gallery, then reactivated. Waited an hour, all good. Spent a few hours creating two blog posts – all good. Soon after received a quarantine alert for gallery/cache .jpg’s, so researched here and added a dynamic folder to ignore gallery/cache. Soon after, started receiving about 2,000 quarantine messages to my email, then had this error occur whenever I tried to hit one of my admin pages:

W3 Total Cache Error: some files appear to be missing or out of place. Please re-install plugin or remove /wp-content/db.php.

Looked it up on the web, and saw there were 4 W3TC files in this directory that can cause this message. Deleted the 4. Did not work. Deleted W3TC cache folder in plugins per another recommendation. Was able to get back to my dashboard but now it shows minimal install (all my posts are there, but no plug-ins or extended settings). My site does not work much due to missing plug ins, and it seems to be open to attack now.

I have many backups via Backupbuddy, CodeGarage, and others, but as the plug-in folders still exist on my site (can see via FTP), not sure why the do not appear in the dashboard.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Larry

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Please post the AutoRestore exclude rule that you added in the Exclude Dynamic folders table.  Did you click all 3 buttons in order?  1, 2 and 3?

Larry Berger
    Participant

Hi – from memory, as I can’t get into the plug-in now, was just the title, and then “gallery/cache” for the rule. I did hit 1, then 2, then 3 per the ATI documentation.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh ok then what has happened is that all of the plugin files have been sent to quarantine for whatever mistake that occurred.  You can restore those plugin files from Quarantine, but you will first need to do these steps.

Outdate info and method deleted – see BPS Pro XTF links:

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) are intended to be used when you are unable to login to your website to fix an issue/problem.  You can turn Off BPS Pro features using the XTF Form options without having to be logged into your website.

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Guide
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/xternal-tools-xtf-guide/

BPS Pro Xternal Tools (XTF) Video Tutorial
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#xternal-tools

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also before you turn AutoRestore back on please post the Exclude rule you created.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Hi – thank you for the instructions, I believe that is what happened. I looked for the arqdelete.php script in both the wp-content/plugins/….. location you mentioned, but it was empty due to being quarantined (as you probably expected). I then checked both the quarantined location and a full site backup from 2 days ago, and that file does not exist. Can you please email it to me?  Thanks, Larry

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh sorry I should have been clearer on where to get the arqdelete.php script.  You will need to get the latest bulletproof-security.zip file from the AITpro.com Secure Download Area since you will have to use this zip file to reinstall BPS Pro on your site using the WordPress Upload zip installer.  You can grab the arqdelete.php script from the zip file.  😉

Larry Berger
    Participant

Working away at it – almost done. Here is the exclude path (copied) gallery/cache The plugins directory was already there – your team did this for me after the last issue. I have not touched it.  About to restore all the plugins but BPS.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Is that gallery folder directly under the /wp-content folder.  Example:  /wp-content/gallery. Or is it under your themes folder.  Example:  /wp-content/themes/your-theme-name/gallery.

Larry Berger
    Participant

/public_html/wp-content/gallery/cache

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

UPDATE/Correction:  I stated that this exclude rule was ok and it is not ok.  The exclude rule should be:  gallery/cache

Ok then your exclude rule is perfect.  😉

What occurred on your site is the same thing that happens when doing a plugin update and updating all plugins at the same time, but you did not mention that so something else caused the Exclude filter to fail.  The only logical thing I can think of would be maybe clicking the Exclude buttons out of sequence, but I am pretty sure there are failsafes for that scenario.  I will double check that.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/#ARQ-Troubleshooting

Issue/Problem:  Using the WordPress Update Plugins button to update all plugins including BPS Pro at the same time.  Causes all plugin files to be sent to Quarantine.  May cause you not to be able to log back into your WP Dashboard or website may display blank.

Larry Berger
    Participant

I have the site mostly back together and working now. Thanks! About to turn on autorestore back on. Should I do another backup of all 4 buttons first (wpcontent, etc..)?  I also may need some help with W3 Cache again….I manually removed W3 cache lines from htaccess (best I could) when I thought it was contributing to the problem.

Got the message about the possible problems – thanks I will review. I know that I hit buttons 1,2,3 in the right order. I have 30+ years in the computer industry as a programmer and systems engineer (but I am really not very good with understanding wordpress unix sites!). Also, I have not updated (on purpose) BPS with my other plug-ins as frankly I am worried everytime I do it. I had not updated it formally in a while. It IS possible that it was done by accident (although I don’t think so). This is the more likely of the two suspect actions.

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Technically since you restored the files from Quarantine you do not need to click the Backup Files buttons, but if you want extra insurance then click the 4 AutoRestore Backup Files buttons before turning AutoRestore back on.

Regarding W3TC just unlock both your root .htaccess file and wp-config.php file and do whatever you need to do with W3TC setup/configuration.  This will allow W3TC to write to both of these files if it needs to.

Normally as long as you have created the AutoRestore Exclude plugins folder rule then you will not run into any issues with BPS Pro upgrades or other plugin upgrades.  A lot of new failsafes have been added to BPS Pro 5.7.1 to stop any known problem issues/scenarios from occurring.  BPS Pro 5.7/5.7.1 focused on getting every known issue or bug worked out and like I said new additional failsafes were added for problematic scenarios.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Hmm so what version of BPS Pro did you have installed?  There was a problem with the Exclude filter in a previous version – i think it was 5.3 or 5.4.

Larry Berger
    Participant

Sorry – can’t tell what version I was on but it was probably 1-2 months back. Appreciate the extra info on W3C – I backed up the htaccess before I modified it, so I will do a restore of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.