Akismet 403 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Akismet 403 error

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    silas88
    Participant

I have a couple of errors in my log, one of which is new when I updated to the latest version of akismet and the other has been around for a while now but i haven’t been able to track down what’s the source.

>>>>>>>>>>> 403 GET or Other Request Error Logged - 1 August 2013 - 12:01 <<<<<<<<<<<
    REMOTE_ADDR: xxxxxx
    Host Name: xxxxxxx
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR:xxxxxxx
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: http: //mydomain.com/wp-content/plugins/akismet/akismet.css?ver=2.5.4.4
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/plugins/akismet/img/logo.png
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/22.0

>>>>>>>>>>> 404 GET or Other Request Error Logged - 1 August 2013 - 12:10 <<<<<<<<<<<
    REMOTE_ADDR: 111.22.33.444
    Host Name: stats.oyster.arvixe.com
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 111.22.33.444
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER:
    REQUEST_URI: /new-slider/
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: WordPress/3.5.2; http: //mydomain.com

The Akismet error hasn’t repeated, I believe it occured during the plugin update process. It may be due to the block hotlink to imaging rule in BPS. ?

The /new-slider/ URI is a complete mystery to me. the remote address and forwarded_for ip addresses are  my webhot server. I don’t have any pages with that URI as far as I am aware, I don’t even use any sliders although I had installed some slider plugin which I subsequently deleted, and my theme supports a slider but i don’t use it. I have looked in the page source and cant find it. Any ideas how I can track this down?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

404 errors typically mean that a link pointing to your site is no longer valid, but are also indications that your site is being probed, scanned, reconned, scraped, etc..  In this particular case this an obvious clue that this is shady activity.  The Server Protocol logged field is missing in the log entry.  This means the probe, recon, scan or scrape is random and is shady activity.  In any case, you can ignore these types of errors.

NOTE:  When your website is scraped or mirrored you will typically see your own website listed as the User Agent.

I just tested to see if I could reproduce the Akismet error with the most current Askimet Version 2.5.9 and could not reproduce the error. 403 errors are not exclusive to BPS (403 HTTP Status Response is a standard) and can be caused by other plugins, but BPS will log the 403 error in the BPS Security Log file so it is possible that another plugin is blocking something or this is some kind of shady scraping activity.  Not really sure what could cause that.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Actually I just thought of something that would cause that Akismet 403 error.  Are you using a minify plugin?  Minifying takes the original code and scrambles it in a way that can cause this type of problem/error.

silas88
    Participant

Re the /new-slider/ 404 error – good to know that I can ignore it. I have spent alot of time trying to find out what caused it.

Re the Akismet 403 – I don’t use a minify plugin, although I have one (Autooptimised) which is installed but not activated. The “content changing” plugins that I use are WP Super Cache, and WordPress SEO. The akismet plug in was deactivated when I updated it occured again since.

Thanks again.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If the Akismet error only occured once or occurs infrequently and is caused by updating or activating Akismet then nothing to worry about there.  In general, BPS and Akismet work well with each other and there are no known conflicts of any kind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.