404 error when using Activate buttons

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free 404 error when using Activate buttons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Lee
    Participant

I have installed the free version of BPS. I have  network/multisubsites. When I use the activate setup buttons I get a 404 error. I get this error whether I have BPS network activated or not.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

A 404 error typically indicates a URL or Permalink problem, but can be caused by other things.  Check your WordPress Custom Permalink Structure.  These links below contain other common issues/problems that can cause 403, 404 or other errors.

Incompatible Web Hosts
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#incompatible-hosts

cPanel HotLink Protection Tool Problem
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#cpanel-hotlink-protection

WordPress flush_rewrite_rules function problem
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#flush-rewrite-rules

DSO Configured Server
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#dso

BulletProof Security WP Error: “no input file specified”- Permalink Problems/404 Errors – using the .html permalink hack is causing 404 Errors
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#no-input-file-specified

403 Forbidden Error after updating/upgrading BPS
    Hosts that do not allow root .htaccess file 404 file permissions and general troubleshooting steps for this problem
    http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#root-htaccess-file-lock

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This problem may be related to this bug we just found in BPS/BPS Pro Network/Multisite htaccess writing code.  This bug would impact all Network / Multisite subdomain site types and only Network/Multisite subdirectory GWIOD site types.  GWIOD stands for “Giving WordPress It’s Own Directory”.  This bug is being fixed and we will have new versions of BPS and BPS Pro released ASAP.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/maintenance-mode-frontend-only-syntax-error/#post-17182

James
    Participant

I logged into my WordPress site and saw that I had a notification at the top to run the wizard for BPS, something I’ve done many times in the past with no issue. I ran it today and now my entire site is giving me the following 404 error:

The requested URL was not found on this server.  Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

This has never happened in the past…  What’s the easiest non technical way to get my site back up without losing the existing permalink structure?  I looked through the previous posts, however did not see a solution that seemed relevant or perhaps I just didn’t understand what was being shared.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ James – Most likely the problem is caused by either missing php handler htaccess code in your root htaccess file or invalid php handler htaccess code saved in this BPS Root Custom Code text box: 1. CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE.  Do the steps below and let me know what happens.

Use FTP or your web host control panel File Manager tool and delete your root .htaccess file.
    If your site is loading normally again then do steps below…
    Login to your website, go to BPS > htaccess File Options > Custom Code > Root htaccess File Custom Code accordion tab/button > delete the php handler htaccess code in this Custom Code text box: 1. CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE > click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    Go to the BPS Setup Wizard page and run the Setup Wizard.

If deleting your root htaccess file does not fix the 404 error then let me know that so I can tell you what to do next.

James
    Participant

Thanks for some reason, when I tried to log in today to address the problem the site was back up.  Thanks for you help!

Hannah
    Participant

Today I experienced the same things that James (above) did a while back. I contacted Bluehost support for help and the site came back up when they deleted htaccess and then replaced it with the WordPress htaccess code. I asked them to stay with me while I generated a secure htaccess with BPS (free version) and the site went right back down. The custom code in it had been working until today. In order to clear the way to upgrade the PHP version on the server (it’s at 7.4 now, and there is a PHP handler in the secure htaccess that reflects this), I removed a plugin and replaced it with others, and then ran the BPS setup wizard to make sure they were all whitelisted and accounted for, and boom! Down she went with a 404 error. So the site is up and functional now, but with a non-secure htaccess file. Can you help me figure out what’s going wrong with the secure htaccess code so I can resume using BPS to protect the site?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Post your root htaccess code (default htaccess file). So I can take a look at it.

Hannah
    Participant

this is the one that’s working right now:

# BEGIN WordPress
    # The directives (lines) between "BEGIN WordPress" and "END WordPress" are
    # dynamically generated, and should only be modified via WordPress filters.
    # Any changes to the directives between these markers will be overwritten.
    Options -Indexes
    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    Header set X-Endurance-Cache-Level "0"
    Header set X-nginx-cache "WordPress"
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – What I am pretty sure is happening is that Bluehost is no longer using php.ini handler htaccess code by the description of the problem.  If that is what Bluehost is doing now then you would delete any php.ini handler htaccess code in BPS Root Custom Code, save your changes and activate Root folder BulletProof Mode again.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – we were posting at the same time.  So yep Bluehost is no longer using php.ini handler htaccess code. Delete it from BPS Root Custom Code.

Hannah
    Participant

Awesome. Because I need to upgrade the PHP version on the server anyway and I’ve had so many sites go down because of those PHP handlers in htaccess that I was very nervous about it. I’ll remove that from the secure htaccess and let you know how it went.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Hannah – Most web hosts have figured out that using php.ini handler htaccess code on the frontend of a website causes lots of problems.  So they are handling that at the server level now.

Hannah
    Participant

Awesome, it worked. I’m so happy to learn that the hosts who had hung on to it are dropping the PHP handler in htaccess. It has caused so many problems for me! Thank you so much.

Hannah
    Participant

Sorry. I thought I had a followup question related to htaccess code, but it turned out to be a code snippet that caused the problem that surfaced today. You can delete this if you like. And thanks again for your always effective assistance!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.