“503 Service Unavailable” Page When Running Setup Wizards after a Server Switch

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro “503 Service Unavailable” Page When Running Setup Wizards after a Server Switch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Living Miracles
    Participant

Hello

We were somewhat recently forced by our hosting provider to switch servers and since then we’ve been noticing while going through the BPS Pro setup wizards process, intermittent “503 Service Unavailable” pages on our different sites and very frequently on one particular site so far. We’re not doing anything different from before. Our basic process to run the setup wizards are that we click on the blue “Pre-Installation Wizard” button and allow that process to finish, then, about 3–5 seconds after the process has finished, we click the blue “Setup Wizard” button and this is when we arrive at the “503 Service Unavailable” page.

We were, however, promised by our hosting provider that the resources would be identical, and possibly even better in some ways, on this new server. But, on our previous server, this sort of issue never happened or, if it did, was never this frequent or as easily triggered from what we remember.

So we wanted to check in with you and see if possibly this is due to your plugin and maybe a recent change you’ve made to it where it is suddenly more resource-intensive or maybe there is actually a glitch or bug to fix the performance of the wizard that is needed now? Or is there something we’ve missed with our BPS Pro settings that we should change to fix this issue (even though it was working fine for us before)?

Thank you and looking forward to your response,
    Living Miracles

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The 503 error means your server is overloading for whatever reason.  Most likely what is overloading the server is the AutoRestore file backup in the Setup Wizard.  Typically the Setup Wizard AutoRestore file backup does not cause 503 errors or any other errors.  We have not changed anything with AutoRestore or the Setup Wizard for over a year.  So it could be that your server is not configured correctly or some other problem with the server.  Is this a Dedicated or VPS host server?  They tend to be very problematic vs Shared hosting servers for this primary reason:  Shared hosting servers are pre-configured by experienced host server Administrators while Dedicated and VPS servers require that the hosting account owner of the Dedicated or VPS server do the necessary configurations and optimizations so that the server performs well. Out of the box a Dedicated or VPS server has very basic configuration setup.  Dedicated and VPS host server owners are expected to be knowledgeable with server configuration and optimization.

Before trying to troubleshoot this new server – do the most obvious thing – contact your host support folks and tell them exactly what you told me – you did not have a problem on your old server and now you have a problem on your new server.

Living Miracles
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your response and the info you’ve shared. We were previously on a Dedicated server and are now on a Cloud server.

We did actually contact our hosting provider about all of this first but they suggested we contact the plugin developers (you) to find out if there is a way to make it less resource-intensive even though we had already shared with them more than once that we weren’t having this issue on the previous server.

So if the plugin hasn’t recently become more resource-intensive, this would have to point to an issue with the new server, right?

Thank you,
    Living Miracles

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Well BPS Pro works on 1,000’s of different web hosts and 50,000 websites worldwide.  Occasionally there is a resource usage problem like the one you are experiencing on your server.  I would say that 1 in 1,000 websites/servers may experience this type of problem.  In every single case the problem was actually the server itself.  So yeah since BPS Pro is already performance and resource optimized I would logically say either your particular server has a problem of some kind or the only other possibility I can think of would be you have a very large number of files that the Setup Wizard is backing up during the AutoRestore file backup process.

I can eliminate that the problem is due to a problem with your website itself if you send me a WordPress Administrator login to this website and an FTP login to your host server.  Send the login info to:  info at ait-pro dot com.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.