504 Gateway Timeout – 504 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro 504 Gateway Timeout – 504 error

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

I am getting a “504 Gateway Time-out” error at one of my websites: [website name removed for privacy]/wp-admin/index.php The problem started about 2-3 days ago. Then it works, then it doesn’t.

The hosting support believe that BPS might be causing the problem, but I am not convinced. Anyhow, here is part of the error log:

BPS PRO SECURITY / HTTP ERROR LOG
    =================================
    >>>>>>>>>>> 403 GET or HEAD Request Error Logged - November 24, 2013 3:34 pm <<<<<<<<<<<
    REMOTE_ADDR: 108.162.245.202
    Host Name: 108.162.245.202
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 131.253.24.69
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: [website name removed for privacy]/tag/morgue-anne-zombucks/
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/plugins/adkingpro/js/adkingpro-functions.js?ver=3.7.1
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; WOW64; Trident/5.0)

Additional Email Question:

It seems that the Ad King Pro plugin is causing the issues.

Funny enough, even with Ad King Pro disabled, I keep getting the following error:

BPS PRO SECURITY / HTTP ERROR LOG
    >>>>>>>>>>> 403 GET or HEAD Request Error Logged - November 24, 2013 3:34 pm <<<<<<<<<<<
    REMOTE_ADDR: 108.162.245.202
    Host Name: 108.162.245.202
    SERVER_PROTOCOL: HTTP/1.1
    HTTP_CLIENT_IP:
    HTTP_FORWARDED:
    HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: 131.253.24.69
    HTTP_X_CLUSTER_CLIENT_IP:
    REQUEST_METHOD: GET
    HTTP_REFERER: [website name removed for privacy]/tag/morgue-anne-zombucks/
    REQUEST_URI: /wp-content/plugins/adkingpro/js/adkingpro-functions.js?ver=3.7.1
    QUERY_STRING:
    HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0; WOW64; Trident/5.0)
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The Error log entry you sent is old and is not current – the timestamp is:  November 24, 2013 3:34 pm.  Your Security Log file is a static text file and is not dynamic.  Security log entries are logged in this static text file in descending order by date.

504 Gateway Timeout errors are usually a Server-side issue with the Server itself.  They can be caused for a number of different reasons, but typically indicate that the Server itself is overloaded or is having issues directly.  I see 504 Gateway Timeout errors more often when nginx is in use.  This does not indicate a problem with nginx and is just a standard HTTP Response Status code that generally indicates a Server latency or timeout issue.  It can be temporary or a permanent issue that needs to be looked into.  A 504 error can also be caused by invalid .htaccess code, but typically you would see a 500 error or 403 error and not a 504 error if you have some invalid .htaccess code somewhere.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/504error.htm

I checked your site and I do not see a 504 error occurring so I assume it was just a temporary problem that is no longer occurring on your Server/website.

I do see other problems occurring on your website.  I assume the problem is a combination of incorrect Plugin Firewall Whitelist rules and maybe a conflict with Error Handling on your website.  ie the Server is already handling errors and BPS Pro is also handling error logging.  Error handling may not be an issue, but it should be looked into.  Since there are several issues occurring on your website it would simpler and quicker for me to login to this site to look at all the issues.  I have sent you an email requesting Admin login to this site.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/widgets/widgets.css?ver=20121003
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/page-list/css/page-list.css?ver=4.2
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/widgets/widget-grid-and-list.css?ver=3.8
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/adkingpro/js/jquery.jshowoff.js?ver=3.8
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/adkingpro/js/adkingpro-functions.js?ver=3.8
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/wpgroho.js?ver=3.8
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/themes/Indicate/images/header-bg.png
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) [website name removed for privacy]/wp-content/themes/Indicate/images/background.jpg
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

These issues/problems were caused by a couple of things.

Checked the Plugin Firewall and saw this error below.  I corrected your Plugin Firewall Whitelist rules and activated the Plugin Firewall again.  I checked your Site with a Proxy using this video tutorial:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#security-log-firewall and found an additional plugin script for your other CAPTCHA plugin that needed to be whitelisted in the Plugin Firewall.

Error: Your Whitelist rules either have additional/extra whitespaces between whitelist rules, line breaks/new lines between or after your whitelist rules or no space after the comma between your plugin scripts/paths/rules.
    Click on the Firewall Whitelist Tools accordian tab and correct/fix any invalid plugin whitelist rules in the Plugins Script/File Whitelist Text Area.
    Edit your Whitelist rules to correct the error and click the Save Whitelist Options button and activate the Plugin Firewall again.
    Valid plugin Whitelist rules MUST use ONLY this Format: /plugin-folder-name/plugin-script.js, /plugin-folder-name/(.*).js.
    Plugin paths/scripts are separated by a comma and a single space. Your whitelist rules should be one continuous single line of scripts/paths/rules without any line breaks/new lines.
    BPS will automatically strip out line breaks/new lines. Click the Save Whitelist Options button again.

EDIT UPDATE:
    The 504 Gateway Timeout error was not caused by this plugin.  The error appears to be intermittent and appeared to be caused by this plugin, but the issue is with the Ad King Pro plugin.

Your site was performing a little sluggishly so I added this Speed Boost Cache code in the link below on your site.  Your site is performing much better now.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/htaccess-caching-code-speed-boost-cache-code/

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Reply:

I’ve even deactivated BPS pro, but the problem persists while Ad King Pro is activated. With Ad King Pro deactivated there are no problem and the site is fast. Do you perhaps no of an alternative ad manager I can use?

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:45 AM, xxx wrote:
    The problem persists, even with “Hide WP Dashboard” disabled and deleted. Every time Ad King Pro appears in the error log file.
    I’ve now deactivated Ad King Pro again and there seems to be no problem in terms of the gateway error problem. However, it still triggers an error within BPS while deactivated:

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Post a Thread in the Ad King Pro plugin author support forum on the wordpress.org using the link below.  This plugin author supports his plugin well as you can see from his plugin support area.  Also with Ad plugins sometimes a problem can be caused by a site that you are linking too from your site.  Example:  An Ad that you are displaying on your site links to another site that is having a problem and that causes a problem on your site.

http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/adkingpro

The details you should post in the Ad King Pro plugin support area are:

You have an Apache frontend Server with an Nginx backend Server.

The 504 Gateway Timeout error.

The BPS Security Log errors are not relevant to this problem since the date / timestamp of the errors is November 24th and no errors are currently occurring now / today.  This was an older error that is not relevant to whatever is occurring now with Ad King Pro.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.