5G Blacklist – Additional htaccess rules

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free 5G Blacklist – Additional htaccess rules

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    silas88
    Participant

Hi,

I found some an additional rule set at http://perishablepress.com/5g-blacklist-2013/ and I noticed some possible overlap especially request strings and request method.  Do you see any issues with using this rule set in the CUSTOM CODE BOTTOM section.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, there is some overlap, but it is fine to have similar rules or even duplicate rules.  It will not hurt anything.  If something legitimate is being blocked by one of the 5G Blacklist rules then you would do similar troubleshooting steps that you would do for BPS .htaccess code.  Comment out  5G Blacklist .htaccess code line by line until you find out which one is blocking something legitimate.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

Hello there,

I am using BPS plugin. I was wondering where should the htaccess blacklist code should go in BPS plugin. http://perishablepress.com/ultimate-htaccess-blacklist/

The source is directed from BPS, located at the root .htaccess file.

Thanks
    Bhupendra

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You would add the 5G Blacklist .htaccess code at the bottom of your root .htaccess file where you see this below…

# BLOCK MORE BAD BOTS RIPPERS AND OFFLINE BROWSERS
    # If you would like to block more bad bots you can get a blacklist from
    # http://perishablepress.com/press/2007/06/28/ultimate-htaccess-blacklist/
    # You should monitor your site very closely for at least a week if you add a bad bots list
    # to see if any website traffic problems or other problems occur.
    # Copy and paste your bad bots user agent code list directly below.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Reply:

Thanks for replying me in quick amount of time. The root .htaccess strictly says do not edit this. I suppose the edit should be from plugin itself. I am guessing from customer code ->customer code bottom, and copy and paste whole thing beneath

<FilesMatch "^\.(php|js|css)$">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Deny from  123.151.
    Allow from all
    </FilesMatch>

Screen shot or more info is appreciated.
    Thank you
    Bhupendra

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This code has nothing to do with BPS.  If this code has something to do with 5G then please contact them to ask your question.  In general what I am saying about your original question is that the 5G .htaccess code can go ANYWHERE at the bottom of your root .htaccess file as long as it comes after # END WordPress in your root .htaccess file.  Yes, BPS has an .htaccess file editor so that you can edit your .htaccess files directly from your WordPress Dashboard on the BPS htaccess File Editor tab page.

# IMPORTANT!!! DO NOT DELETE!!! the END WordPress text below
    # END WordPress

The 5G .htaccess code can anywhere after the the text/code above.

jenni101
    Participant

Hi,

Just a quick one – having just installed BPS and running through different setup options, i checked what it had put in my .htaccess file and found there was some missing info at the very end… it reads:
    # BLOCK MORE BAD BOTS RIPPERS AND OFFLINE BROWSERS
    # If you would like to block more bad bots you can get a blacklist from

…from??? I’d love to have the link to further info please? But obviously not urgent!
    Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ jenni101 – you will find the link in the topic above.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.