Automatic updates for the BPS Pro plugin

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Automatic updates for the BPS Pro plugin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Email Question:

question – i’m usng infinitewp to update all my sites. can it update bps pro? bit tedious to always have to update by hand
    I believe some sites is HAS updated. any way to be sure?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Answer:

I am planning on adding new code to my API server (api.ait-pro.com) to allow BPS Pro plugin automatic updating. Currently it is not possible to automatically update BPS Pro using the WordPress API server since my API server is a completely different API server than WP’s API server. I will be looking into adding automatic updating for BPS Pro in BPS Pro 16.3 (2-3 BPS Pro versions from now).

Terri Zx
    Participant

(edited)

I use UpdraftPlus’s Easy Update Manager and UpdraftCentral (dashboard). For the first time, UPD-Central noted that BPS Pro was available to update, but it didn’t work. I then went into a site and enabled updates in the EUM options (but not auto-updates). Then, UPD-Central was able to update the plugin. Yay!

Question: Can I safely turn on auto-updates for BPS Pro in EUM options?

Peace,
    Terri Z

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have not yet started working on creating the automatic update code for BPS Pro on my API server.  All primary BPS Pro features have either been overhauled or rebuilt in the last year.  1 minor feature needs a rebuild, but that will only take minimal time to do.  So I have a very short list of tasks to complete in BPS Pro 16.4.  Creating automatic update code for BPS Pro on my API server is on that list.

With that said, I made some changes on my API server in BPS Pro 16 that would take effect for the BPS Pro 16.1 upgrade.  I don’t know yet whether or not another plugin will be able to handle/process a BPS Pro plugin automatic update.  So if BPS Pro has been updated correctly in the EUM plugin then that is great, but I would need to do some testing to see what is or is not working correctly.  I will have a definite answer for you once I have started working on this.

• Fix: The BPS Pro Plugin Info Screen (View version details link) on the WP Plugins page will now return plugin data for BPS Pro and not BPS free. The jQuery alert when the View version details link is clicked on the WP Plugins page has been removed. Note: Since this fix was done in BPS Pro 16 then these changes will apply when upgrading from BPS Pro 16 to BPS Pro 16.1.

Terri Zx
    Participant

Brilliant, thank you!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have tried several different methods that incorporate standard WP plugin upgrade filters and actions and nothing worked.  The problem is that the BPS free and Pro plugins have the same plugin slug:  bulletproof-security.  Someday I will take a few days and change BPS Pro slugs to:  bulletproof-security-pro.  There are literally 1,000’s of lines of code that would need to be changed.  Most can be changed with a search and replace.  I would also need to create a custom solution to automatically change/replace the existing /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder to /bulletproof-security-pro/ during an API server upgrade.  Somewhat of a scary thing to do since so many things could go wrong with doing that.

I can easily create a custom solution for BPS Pro so that it has it’s own Plugin auto-update capability that would be completely unrelated and independent of WP’s Plugin auto-update feature.  I have created raw testing code to do that and it works perfectly.  I will add this custom BPS Pro auto-update feature in BPS Pro 16.4.  Choosing or using the WordPress Enable auto-updates for BPS Pro does not and still will not have any effect on BPS Pro.  I think the best place for the BPS Pro custom auto-update feature would be on the WP Plugins page directly under the BPS Pro plugin description.

I have retested the EUM plugin > version 9.0.12 and it is no longer causing any problems for BPS Pro.  I have removed the “Easy Updates Manager Plugin Notice” in BPS Pro 16.4.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

A custom BPS Pro Plugin auto-update feature has been added in BPS Pro 16.4.  I will be releasing BPS Pro 16.4 soon.

New Feature: BPS Pro Plugin auto-update: BPS Pro already had automatic updates (Shiny updates – update now link) on the WordPress Plugins page. BPS Pro now also has plugin auto-update capability for the BPS Pro plugin. BPS Pro Plugin auto-updates can be enabled by clicking the “Enable BPS Pro auto-updates” link under the BPS Pro plugin description on the WordPress Plugins page. When BPS Pro Plugin auto-updates is enabled the link status will display: BPS Pro auto-updates On in green font. BPS Pro Plugin auto-update Options: Turn On|Off, BPS Pro auto-update Cron Check Frequency: 3, 6, 12 or 24 hours, send or do not sent email notification and To, From, CC and BCC email options. Dev Note: BPS Pro Plugin auto-update is a custom plugin auto-update feature for the BPS Pro plugin only and is not hooked into or related to the WP plugin auto-updates feature for all other plugins in the WP Plugin Repository.

Removal: Easy Updates Manager Plugin Dismiss Notice: The Easy Updates Manager Plugin no longer interferes with BPS Pro plugin upgrade checks.

Terri Zx
    Participant

This is awesome! Will save me hours…

One suggestion though – the instructions (here and in-app) say click the link on the Plugins page, which takes you to the ”
    <h3>BPS Pro Plugin auto-update Options”</h3>
    settings page – but then you have to actually turn it on and save, which is intuitive but I overlooked that on the first few client sites I updated – I just clicked the button under the assumption that it would just turn it on… 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yeah I know.  At some point everything in BPS Pro is going to be js/AJAX toggles. So you won’t need to do the old fashioned POST Form submits.  Getting there.  😉

Terri Zx
    Participant

I’m thrilled with all the upgrades. Best security plugin on the market – just added a 5-star review for you!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Awesome bro!  Thanks for that.  🙂

Terri Zx
    Participant

Actually it’s “sis” but that’s ok 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oops sorry about that > girls kick azz.  I know that because I am terrified of my mother in a good way. LOL

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.