AutoRestore Added Folders & Files Rebuild Setup Steps

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore Added Folders & Files Rebuild Setup Steps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The AutoRestore Add Folders & Files Feature has been rebuilt in BPS Pro 15.6.

New capabilities: Add Folders & Files anywhere under a hosting account except for WP Core folders: wp-content, wp-admin and wp-includes since those folders are already monitored and protected by default by AutoRestore|Quarantine, Restore Added Files from Quarantine and Delete all Added Folders & Files with one click.

New option: Hosting account root folder path option setting.

New Error Checking: Prevent adding folders and files under WP Core folders: wp-content, wp-admin and wp-includes.

If you see the AutoRestore Add Folders & Files Rebuild Notice after upgrading to BPS Pro 15.6 that means that you have existing added folders and files that are being monitored and protected by AutoRestore.  You will need to do the steps below in order to use the new AutoRestore Add Folders & Files feature.

1. A list of all your current added folders is displayed in the AutoRestore Add Folders & Files Rebuild Notice.  Copy that list of added folders to a text file on your computer.
    2. Go to the BPS Pro > AutoRestore > Add|Exclude Other Folders & Files tab page.
    3. Scroll down the page to the “Remove Folders & Files” option settings section and click the “Delete All Added Folders|Files” button.
    4. Scroll up the page to the “Add Folders & Files” form.
    5. Copy/enter the full path to your hosting account root folder in the “Enter the full path to your hosting account root folder” option setting text box.  See examples below.
    Common hosting account root folder names (note: The x’s stand for your actual folder path names):
    /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/public_html
    /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/httpdocs
    /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/html
    /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/www
    /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/home
    6. Choose the option that you want to use in the “Select Folder or File Add Option” option setting.
    7. Copy one of the folder paths from the list of added folders that you copied to your computer.  You will need to add each folder path individually to add/resave all of your added folders and files back into the AutoRestore Add Folders & Files feature.  Rinse and repeat until you have re-added/resaved all of your added folders.

unregsg
    Participant

I got the AutoRestore Add Folders & Files Rebuild Notice, however, the list itself is empty. The only thing, the box mentions is “AutoRestore Added Folders List”.

https://i.ibb.co/FHNLt5j/screenshot.jp

I’m actually not 100% sure whether I have added folders to my BPS installation once. I have two additional folders I think that should be in the list, so I’m irritated that they are not shown in the list.

It’s probably just the best to ignore the list and do it all over myself, but I thought I should mention it here anyway…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Go to the BPS Pro > AutoRestore > Add|Exclude Other Folders & Files tab page > scroll down to the “Remove Folders & Files” section > enter a forward slash / in the Remove Added Folders|Files Search text box and click the Search button.  If you have any Added Folders or individual Added Files they will be displayed in the search results at the bottom of the Add|Exclude Other Folders & Files tab page.  Note:  The “AutoRestore Add Folders & Files Rebuild Notice” only displays Added Folders and does not display Added individual files.

unregsg
    Participant

Okay, in the  Add|Exclude Other Folders & Files tab page there are also no folders mentioned. I guess I don’t have any added to that wordpress installation, then. A little confusing, that I got the rebuild notice pop up then…

(Just in case: While my wordpress is run from a top level domain, my wordpress installation is in a sub-folder that is included into the wordpress “general” settings tab, so WordPress is using it (as well as in my .htaccess file for redirecting). I still think I have included additional folders several months ago, but these have been subfolders on the top level (so on the equal level like the wordpress sub-folder) as several images are still accessed from this folder. Probably this was not valid or is not valid anymore – probably that might explain why I got the pop up notice but without any valid folders?

Anyhow, it’s probably just the best to re-include this image folder, I guess)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s possible that whatever folders you tried to add previously did not get successfully added to the Add Folders & Files feature or some other issue/problem may have occurred.  The general concept of the Add Folders & Files feature is that it adds additional folders that AutoRestore|Quarantine will monitor and protect.  When hackers manage to upload a file to a hosting account the hacker file (hacker Shell script) is always uploaded to the hosting account root folder.  Once a hacker has control of your hosting account root folder they then hide additional hacker files in random folders under a hosting account.  So the Add Folders & Files feature is an extra security measure since AutoRestore|Quarantine will already stop the hack in the hosting account root folder before a hacker is able to create new hacker files in other random hosting account folders.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.