AutoRestore – The total number of backup files is excessive

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro AutoRestore – The total number of backup files is excessive

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

AutoRestore/Quarantine (ARQ) is performance optimized and will monitor/check the typical total average amount of website files, which is between 1,200 to 3,000 files without causing any website performance loss/slowness.  When ARQ is monitoring/checking excessive files totaling 5,000 or more files a website performance loss is noticeable and can cause up to a .5 second (half a second) increased page load time.

The AutoRestore wp-content Files backed up files check checks for an excessive / extremely large number of files in wp-content Files backup.  A normal amount of files in AutoRestore wp-content backup should be between 1 to 1,000 files.  The check for excessive files in wp-content backup checks if the total number of files is greater than 1,500 backed up files for the wp-content folder.  This check is done to detect issues/problems such as:

W3TC page cache issue
    W3TC page cache is being backed up under the wp-content folder when it should not be backed up.  To fix this issue create an AutoRestore Exclude dynamic folder rule for the W3TC folder.  See the AutoRestore/Quarantine Calibration Video Tutorial http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/ for how to add AutoRestore Exclude dynamic folder rules.

Unused Themes issue
    Several unused Themes are in the /themes folder and these theme files are being backed up and checked by AutoRestore.  Any unused Themes should be deleted from your /themes folder.  If you are not using a Theme then there is no point in keeping the Theme files and having AutoRestore/Quarantine check these unused files.  This causes unnecessary resource usage for your website.

1.  Turn Off AutoRestore.
    2.  Delete any unused Themes.
    3.  Go to AutoRestore and click the Delete Backup Files button under the wp-content Files backup.
    4.  Click the Backup Files button under the wp-content Files backup.
    5.  Turn AutoRestore back On.

If you have deleted unused Themes and are still seeing an excessive number of backup files for the wp-content folder, click the wp-content Files Show Backup Files button to see what files are in wp-content backup.  You can then create an AutoRestore Exclude rule for any folders that do not need to be backed up such as a folder under the wp-content root folder that contains image files.  Example:  /wp-content/images/.

ARQ Exclude rules not automatically created by the Setup Wizards
    The Pre-Installation and Setup Wizards automatically check for and create AutoRestore Exclude rules for folders and files that should not be backed up or checked by AutoRestore/Quarantine such as a folder containing only image files, cache files, etc.  There may be cases where the Wizards do not find and create an Exclude rule automatically for a folder under the wp-content folder that should not be backed up and checked by ARQ.  In these cases you would create an AutoRestore Exclude dynamic folder rule for that folder.  See the AutoRestore/Quarantine Calibration Video Tutorial http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/ for how to add AutoRestore Exclude dynamic folder rules.

nigeyv
    Participant

Hi

I am receiving this message when I attempt to backup my wp-content files.

ARQ wp-content excessive files

I have deleted any unused themes and this has reduced the number of files a little but this message still shows and I am unable to establish where the problem lies or whether it is some kind of conflict.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards
    Nigel

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Have you done these steps?

1. Turn Off AutoRestore.
    2. Delete any unused Themes.
    3. Go to AutoRestore and click the Delete Backup Files button under the wp-content Files backup.
    4. Click the Backup Files button under the wp-content Files backup.
    5. Turn AutoRestore back On.

This additional help information has been added:

If you have deleted unused Themes and are still seeing an excessive number of backup files for the wp-content folder, click the wp-content Files Show Backup Files button to see what files are in wp-content backup.  You can then create an AutoRestore Exclude rule for any folders that do not need to be backed up such as a folder under the wp-content root folder that contains image files.  Example:  /wp-content/images/.

Dean McNamara
    Participant

I have too many files, no extra themes, and when I look at the files I see strings of these entries:

zh_CN.mo                    /wp-content/languages/zh_CN.mo                    Aug 02 2012 23:27:31  383747 bytes
    zh_CN.php                   /wp-content/languages/zh_CN.php                   Aug 02 2012 23:27:31  8673 bytes
    continents-cities-de_DE.po  /wp-content/languages/continents-cities-de_DE.po  Aug 02 2012 23:27:31  40557 bytes
    ms-el.po                    /wp-content/languages/ms-el.po                    Aug 02 2012 23:27:31  808893 bytes
    continents-cities-fr_FR.mo  /wp-content/languages/continents-cities-fr_FR.mo  Aug 02 2012 23:27:31  808893 bytes

I have no idea what has created them – but I am assuming that is my problem?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

These are extra language files that are added by WordPress in the /wp-content/languages/ folder when you install a WordPress version that is in another language.

Create an AutoRestore Folder Exclude rule for the languages folder.

Turn Off AutoRestore.
    Go to the AutoRestore >>> Exclude Dynamic Folders – Temp/Cache page (renamed to Exclude wp-content Folders in BPS Pro 9.0).
    Enter:  languages (without anything else – no slashes – nothing, but just languages) and click buttons 1, 2 and 3.
    Go to the AutoRestore/Quarantine Settings tab page, under wp-content Files, click the Delete Backup Files button.
    Click the wp-content Files Backup Files button to create new wp-content backup files.
    Turn AutoRestore back on.

Deb
    Participant

Just today, after many months of low numbers, I received this warning in Autorestore for excessive files – over 2650 or so. No extra themes. I checked the files on the server and I see nothing new. No big files, nothing….   ???

I tried the step just above my entry here about excluding the languages: Enter:  languages (without anything else – no slashes – nothing, but just languages) and click buttons 1, 2 and 3.

Did that and got then an Error message in the Exclude wp content Folders (which is true of course):

Error: Incorrect Folder Exclude rule detected
    languages is not a valid folder name/path or does not exist under the wp-content folder.
    Click the Read Me help button to see examples of valid folder exclude rules/paths.

But after excluding the plain “languages” line and then re-saving the bps backup – I have 43 files backed up in (more like it, but don’t know what happened:

wp-content Files
    Backup: Nov 25 2014 06:19:59

Total Backup Files: 43

ADDEMDUM!

I took out the “languages” line in the Exclude wp content Folder menu of Autorestore and then deleted the back file once again, then re-saved it once again and it HELD to the 43 total backup files.  I’ll do it one more time for good measure.

After good measure – still at 43 wp-content Files

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Logically what probably occurred is that at some point either extra wp-content files that were not being used were deleted by you or maybe an additional AutoRestore folder exclude rule was added at some later point and the wp-content Delete Backup Files button was not clicked to remove the older backed up files.  In any case, by clicking the wp-content Delete Backup Files button and then clicking the wp-content Backup Files button creates NEW backup files based on what files actually exist and also what folder and file exclude rules you have.

For future reference or for anyone else who is wondering how to check what files are in AutoRestore backup there are additional buttons/tools on the AutoRestore page…

On the AutoRestore page you will see a Show Backup Files and a Show Website Files buttons under each folder column:  Root Files, wp-admin Files, wp-includes Files and wp-content Files.  Clicking the Show Backup Files button will show all of the files backed up for that folder (Root, wp-admin, wp-includes, wp-content).  Clicking the Show Website Files button will show all of your website files under that folder (Root, wp-admin, wp-includes, wp-content).

Chris Moon
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]

Hi,

I’m starting building an e-commerce site and getting warnings from WP-content files backup that the the total number of files is excessive. I have only uploaded 87 products so far and intend adding hundred more. What do you advise to get around the excessive file warning and create an effective manageable AR backup which isn’t going to weigh down my site?

regards,
    Chris

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Chris Moon – see the beginning of this Forum Topic for general things you can do.  For your specific case you can exclude certain theme folders from being checked by ARQ.  Example:  Let’s say you have a theme folder that stores/saves image files here:  /wp-content/themes/some-theme-name/product-images-example-folder-name/.  You can create an ARQ wp-content folder exclude rule to NOT check that image folder.  Image files cannot be altered or modifed by hackers so it is safe to exclude checking image files.

1. Use the AutoRestore wp-content Show Backup Files tool button to view all ARQ Backup Files for the wp-content folder.
    2. Copy any folder names/paths that can be excluded from being checked by ARQ to a text file on your computer so that you can work from that text file.
    3. Watch this video tutorial on creating AutoRestore exclude rules:  AutoRestore Exclude Rules video tutorial

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.