BackupBuddy Exclude bps-backup folder from backups

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BackupBuddy Exclude bps-backup folder from backups

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    John H

Hi,

I have a large website file that is backed up with BackupBuddy. I have the option of excluding these bps backup files which are rather large

/wp-content/bps-backup
    /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore
    /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/wp-content
    /wp-content/bps-backup/autorestore/wp-content/Sprouting-Websites.

It would be good for many reasons to exclude these large files from my BackupBuddy backup, but is it advisable?

Thanks,
    John

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, that is actually the best recommended thing to do.  You should exclude the entire /bps-backup folder.  No point in making backups of backups.  😉  AutoRestore makes backups of files for autorestoring purposes and is not intended to be used like a conventional backup.  The backup files are only there so that if something happens to the original website files then the “good” files will replace the “bad” files immediately.

John H

Thank you. It’s logical but I thought I would double check.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, also I wanted to mention that you do not need to do full file backups each time you do a backup.  A good backup routine would be something like this.

Do a full database backup weekly.
    Do a full file backup monthly.
    Do backups of folders and files that change regularly/frequently on a weekly basis.

The rule of thumb is let’s say the worst case scenario does actually happen then how much data are you willing to lose if the sky does come crashing down?  An hours worth of data, a days worth of data, a weeks worth of data or a months worth of data.  WordPress Core files are easily replaced by reinstalling WordPress and are not considered data.  Data is your post content, comments and other data that is stored in your database.  So obviously the most critical and important backup is your Database backup.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.