Backup Creator plugin – Backup plugin used to clone a site results in broken site

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Backup Creator plugin – Backup plugin used to clone a site results in broken site

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    E. J. Simmons
    Participant

I have a working site, using BPS Pro for security. I want to clone the working site onto a test site, so that I can experiment on the design using child themes while leaving the working site available to visitors.

Using Backup Creator plugin for backup and cloning purposes.

On the working site, used Backup Creator to make a backup.
    On the test site, used cpanel to create a new test subdomain (for testing child themes).
    On the new test subdomain:
    – did a new WordPress installation.
    – uploaded and activated the Backup Creator plugin.
    – ran the restore under Backup Creator.

The Backup Creator plugin listed each step’s results on the admin page as the restore proceeded.

However, at the end of the restore process, no page will load. For example, I cannot access the WordPress admin page, and cannot access the home page.

I asked the Backup Creator support desk for guidance, and provided login for both the working site and the test subdomain site. Here is the comment from Backup Creator support:
    “Unfortunately BulletProof Security plugin is causing this issue. It is changing WordPress files that make it impossible to use any other backup solution besides the one they provide.”

(I was not aware that BPS Pro was a general site backup solution, and do not know if BPS Pro would work to clone sites.)

Perhaps related, I used sitecheck.sucuri.net to scan the new test subdomain that is now inaccessible, and after the scan sitecheck.sucuri.net states:
    “Site error detected. Details: http://labs.sucuri.net/db/malware/500-error?v1
    HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error”

Now the question is whether I should delete the subdomain, including the WordPress installation and the MySQL database, and try again? And in trying again what would be a way to avoid the broken site result? Perhaps by deactivating and deleting BPS Pro before creating the backup using Backup Creator?

There may be a number of other BPS Pro users who are also using Backup Creator for ongoing backups, so some sort of warning would be appropriate.

Thanks, – E. J.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

“Unfortunately BulletProof Security plugin is causing this issue. It is changing WordPress files that make it impossible to use any other backup solution besides the one they provide.”

You can use any other backup plugins or any other plugins with BPS Pro.  BPS Pro does not prevent other backup plugins from working along with BPS Pro DB Backup or prevent any other plugins from doing whatever they do.  I suspect that the problem is related to AutoRestore/Quarantine, but could be related to more than just ARQ.  AutoRestore/Quarantine is an IDPS File Monitor that monitors all of your website files for changes.  See the links below for best procedural steps for cloning sites and also the AutoRestore/Quarantine Guide so that you have a complete understanding of all the factors involved in cloning a site.  And yep it may just be simpler these days to turn all security off in the site you want to clone or just uninstall BPS Pro and then run the Setup Wizard again on the site used to clone and any new sites that you are creating with that clone.

Note:  If the Backup Creator plugin stores its backup files under the /wp-content folder then you will need to create an AutoRestore folder Exclude rule for that backup folder so that AutoRestore does not check that backup folder or you can change the backup folder path to any folder name under the /wp-content/bps-backup/ folder, which is already excluded from being checked by AutoRestore and the /bps-backup/ folder has security protection so that all files under the /bps-backup/ folder are protected.

Note:  If you have used the BPS Pro DB Table Prefix Changer to change the name of your database table prefix name then be sure to check that your wp-config.php file also has the same db table prefix name.  Also if you are importing a database that has db tables with a different db table prefix other than the default wp_ db table prefix and the default WordPress db tables already exist in that database then you will have 2 sets of db tables, but the only db tables that will be used will be whatever db table prefix you set in your wp-config.php file.  In this scenario you can delete all db tables with the wp_ db table prefix name since they are not be used and the are duplicate db tables.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/migrating-moving-or-cloning-websites/

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/autorestore-quarantine-guide-read-me-first/

http://forum.ait-pro.com/video-tutorials/#autorestore-quarantine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.