Blocking comment spam bots – Custom Code

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Blocking comment spam bots – Custom Code

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom
    Participant

To block comment bots I renamed my wp-comments-post.php to wp-comments-post-nospam.php (and corrected all the references to this file in my theme). I also created an empty wp-comments-post.php file ๐Ÿ™‚ This cut down the comment spam dramatically (though I ought to repeat this modification whenever WordPress is updated and the empty file overwritten by its new version). ย  In the # FORBID COMMENT SPAMMERS section of my secure .htaccess file I changed…

<FilesMatch "^(wp-comments-post\.php)">
    to 
    <FilesMatch "^(wp-comments-post*\.php)">

Is there a way to automatically add the “*” after every update of BPS Pro?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS upgrades will not overwrite any custom coding modifications that you have made, unless you click the [obsolete-removed] buttons again, but with that said what you can do is this. ย Add your code to BPS Custom Code so that it is permanently saved and will always be written to your Root .htaccess file if you click the [obsolete-removed] buttons again. ย Please read the Blue Read Me help button on the BPS Custom Code page.

You would add this custom code to the Root Custom Code Bottom text area:

Tom
    Participant

After updating BPS Pro I was always getting a message that BulletProof mode was not activated. So I thought I needed to click the [obsolete-removed] buttons and then activate BulletProof mode again…
    I added the modified code to the CUSTOM CODE BOTTOM field, which resulted in some redundancy. But I guess it does not harm.
    Thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

That Upgrade Alert only lasts until you Refresh your Browser or click on any BPS link to accomplish the same thing – Refreshes your Browser. ย Unfortunately, with PHP code or any code for that matter you will see the displayed results (in this case a message) of the last function that was processed / outputted in your Browser and not your actual current status.ย 

Tom
    Participant

OK, it is clear now. It makes life a bit easier. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.