BPS update – website has crashed

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free BPS update – website has crashed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    AbZu2
    Participant

After updating my site abzu2.com with BPS .53.3 my home page is stripped of images, only the menu text headers are displayed and the heading of the first post. Can access my dashboard via admin but not my home page. Screenshot: http://prnt.sc/aahcze

Have tested accessing my site with Safari, Chrome, Opera and Dolphin on PC, iOS and Android. Same error. Tried deactivating the BPS plugin, logged out and back in. Same problem. Reluctant to uninstall and reinstall to end up with the same problem. Ignore if there is any possibility of reverting to the earlier version.

AbZu2
    Participant

BPS SECURITY LOG
    =================
    =================
    [Security Log entries copied and then deleted]

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Try doing these BPS troubleshooting steps below and let me know if the problem is still occurring.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#bps-free-general-troubleshooting

1. On the Security Modes page, click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Deactivate button. See Custom Code Note if doing this step works.
    2. On the Security Modes page, click the wp-admin Folder BulletProof Mode Deactivate button.  See Custom Code Note if doing this step works.

AbZu2
    Participant

After restoring my website, thanks to your instructions, I now have the following notice by BPS:
    > BPS Alert! Your site does not appear to be protected by BulletProof Security
    Go to the Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

• BPS Alert! An htaccess file was NOT found in your WordPress wp-admin folder
      If you have deleted the wp-admin htaccess file for troubleshooting purposes you can disregard this Alert.

In order to not replicate my original problem after having updated to  version .53.3 What would be the best order to proceed in re-establishing my protection. TIA

AbZu2
    Participant

Had the same problem reoccur. Seems that the problem was not being caused by the BPS update but by another plugin: wp-typography. Deleted the culprit. Have reactivated BPS protection. Thank you for your help.

** Excellent plugin. Essential.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great!  Glad you got this sorted out and thanks for letting us know what the cause of the issue/problem was.

AbZu2
    Participant

The fact that the site was restored after deactivating the root and wp-admin folders, indicates to me that there is a clear compatibility or configuration  issue with the wp-typography plugin and BPS. I can live without the former but not the latter. 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok we will test the wp-Typography plugin and find the coding mistake/problem in that plugin that is causing this problem.  Is this the correct plugin:  https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wp-typography

AbZu2
    Participant

Yep. Correct plugin.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have tested the wp-Typography plugin and used the default settings in the wp-Typography plugin and did not find any problems or conflicts between BPS and the wp-Typography plugin.  I see that the wp-Typography plugin has lots of other settings to choose from so maybe 1 or more of this plugin setting options is the cause of the problem?  Another possibility that I have seen before is that when a large number of plugins are installed on a website and you reach or exceed the maximum memory that your website has then when you activate any new plugins (can be any of them and not a particular/specific plugin) and exceed your maximum memory then problems start occurring.

AbZu2
    Participant

Thank you for the information. I am inclined to suspect that the cause may have very well been the number of plugins installed. Question: Is it the amount of plugins installed or activated that can cause such an error ?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The average number of plugins that most folks have installed is between:  5 and 25 plugins total.  The problem would be that your website is allocated a certain amount of memory by your server/host and if you reach or exceed that maximum amount of memory allocated to your website then all sorts of random problems will occur.  The BPS System Info page checks and shows you your memory limits.  The PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit is the amount of actual memory that your server/host is allocating for your website.  128MB is good and 256MB is excellent.  If you are seeing less than 128MB then you are going to run into random problems.  Most web hosts allow at least 128MB for the PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit so if you are not seeing at least 128MB then you should contact your web host and have them increase your memory limit to at least 128MB.

PHP Memory Usage:
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit:
    WordPress Base Memory Limit:
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit:

AbZu2
    Participant

Thank you very much for your  prompt and informative feedbacks. Checked my PHP info via BPS and it is the following:

PHP Version: 5.6.17
    PHP Memory Usage: 13.86 MB
    WordPress Admin Memory Limit: 256M
    WordPress Base Memory Limit: 40M
    PHP Actual Configuration Memory Limit: 128M

** 16 Installed plugins

No current scenarios, after delection of wp-typography

My site is hosted with Bluehost. They do not recommend increasing beyond 128M, so it seems that is my max.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok then it does not appear to be a memory problem, which then leaves the possibility of certain settings in wp-Typography causing the problem or a combination problem where wp-Typography breaks something else on your website (plugin/theme/WP, etc) which in turn was breaking BPS.

AbZu2
    Participant

Wp-typography R.I.P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.