BPS PHP Error Log. Errors/Alerts? What to do?

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BPS PHP Error Log. Errors/Alerts? What to do?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Josh
    Participant

Update…

Here’s the info I received from the developer of “Media Library Folders Pro” after open up a ticket and explaining the situation.

Alan Pasho wrote:

And why does BulletProof Security have a way to turn off this feature?
    We have some specific informational messages written to the error log so that when a user says he is unable to create a folder,
    I can get him to send me the debug.log and then I can quickly diagnose the problem.
    I suppose in the next release I can provide a way for you to turn off messages written to the debug.log.

I haven’t responded to him yet. He seems like a caring developer from what I gather when viewing his responses to other users.

I think in his first opening question, he meant “And why doesn’t” NOT “why does”.
    And then he’s referencing a “debug.log” file? I searched through every file and folder name looking for “debug.log”… the only one that turns up in my search is found here:
    “/public_html/wp-content/plugins/litespeed-cache/admin/tpl/debug_log.php”

So is the log info being picked up by BPS Pro coming from a hidden MLF Pro debug.log file? I thought it was being picked up by BPS because the plugin was piping log entries to “error_log”. I’m confused.

What I don’t understand is WHY not allow me to turn on debuggin within then MLF plugin when I actually need to. I thought the whole point of debugging was it’s turned off by default until you actually need to use it. “Something isn’t working correct with the MLF Pro plugin, let’s turn on debugging to see what’s going on and send those logs to the developer.”

Any insight or clarity is appreciated.

Do you think I can simply remove/comment out that one line code you referenced a few posts back to stop the debug logging?

/home/xxxxx/public_html/wp-content/plugins/media-library-plus-pro/maxgalleria-media-library.php, line 2247
    error_log("starting url: $url");

Thanks,
    Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Josh – The issue would be that using “error_log” in that particular usage is going to generate php errors just by the usage of “error_log” itself in a general way, unless you wrapped in the code in some sort of conditional limitation kind of thing. So typically the best choice of a standard PHP function would be error_reporting: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5438060/showing-all-errors-and-warnings. What happens when you try to “force” errors by using error_log in that particular way is that you actually end up generating errors that appear to be problems that are not actually problems. Pass this info along to the Dev. Maybe it was just a “typo” type of thing… error_log and error_reporting are very similar. 😉

Josh
    Participant

@AITpro Admin
    Right on. Thanks for taking the time to help when it’s not even your issue. Very much appreciated.

I will forward this info along and see how he reacts.

Thanks again,
    Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Josh – Of course, glad to help in any way I can.  Let me know if I missed something, but I’m pretty sure that is what is going on.  😉

Josh
    Participant

@AITpro Admin

You didn’t miss anything. And after looking further into his “maxgalleria-media-library.php” file today, he’s using “error_log” extensively through out that file to pipe informational notices to the php error log. So it’s definitely not a typo, but purposely done.

I asked him “Is there a simple way for me to modify the “maxgalleria-media-library.php” file to stop the piping of these log notices to the php error log.” But then today, after looking at the many occurrences and use of “error_log” through out the file above, I doubt this is going to be an easy fix. I haven’t heard back from him yet.

I would think the responsible thing to do would be to pipe these notices to its own debug log file and not clog up the php error log with all these silly non-error notices, but I digress.

Josh

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Josh – It may just be as simple as an “oh crap moment”.  To be honest that is not the correct usage of that particular PHP function.  My guess is that is what will be the case.  Keep me posted.  😉

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.