_MACOSX – duplicate zip archive, duplicate folder

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free _MACOSX – duplicate zip archive, duplicate folder

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi I just installed BPS plugin to my new wordpress site and it failed to activate with this error message:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
    Warning: require_once(/home/diannet/public_html/diannesphotographs.com/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/diannet/public_html/diannesphotographs.com/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security.0.47.8/bulletproof-security.php on line 34

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘/home/diannet/public_html/diannesphotographs.com/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php’) in /home/diannet/public_html/diannesphotographs.com/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security.0.47.8/bulletproof-security.php on line 34

I’m sitting here looking right at the class.php file, so it sure is there!

But another weird thing: When I uploaded the zip file to my wp-content/plugins, it produced two separate directories: a normal one called bulletproof-security.0.47.8 and another directory called _MACOSX containing a duplicate bulletproof-security.0.47.8 folder. I don’t understand this.

I love BPS, use it OK on my other website.
    Please help – why is BPS not activating, and putting in the extra directory? How can I fix it?

Decided to scrap it and start again with a fresh download of BPS .48 and it worked.

Thanks for your time.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Do you have a Mac?  The _MACOSX archive is a duplicate zip archive this is created for some compatibility reason or other for Macs.  So logically if you have a Mac and if you did something with the zip file on your Mac then this duplicate Mac archive was created by your system.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I found this very good explanation of what _MACOSX zip archive folders are and how they are created.

Source:  http://gotoes.org/sales/Zip_Mac_Files_For_PC/What_Is__MACOSX.php

The __MACOSX folder is created when a Mac user creates and archive (also called a zip file) using the Mac. If the Mac user sends the zip file to another Mac user, the folder will not appear – this is a hidden folder. Many files on the Mac have two parts: a data fork, and a resource fork. The built in zip utility on the Mac sequesters all of the resource forks into this __MACOSX folder when creating a zip archive. For certain files (like some font files), these resource forks are necessary to be left intact. ZipFiles4PC also has an option to preserve the resrouce forks without creating the __MACOSX folder.

When the Mac user sends the zip file to a PC user, however, all of the hidden files are shown. PC users are often confused by these (seemingly superfluous) files and folders…

Thanks for explaining that, now I’ll know what to watch out for. Instead of doing the zip compression on my Mac, I got a fresh download off your site and that installed to cpanel without creating another _macosx folder.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.