Internal Server Error – internal error or misconfiguration

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Internal Server Error – internal error or misconfiguration

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Zambri

Hello everyone,

thanks for this great support community. I am going to explain an issue I have been having since yesterday. This story is divided in two parts but I will tell both because maybe one affects the other. I have been using Bulletproof since november 2012 and was rally happy with it, even thinking to upgrade to pro version.

Since yesterday at 4am I have been getting this error when trying to access the site (www.inforc.net)
    Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

This was affecting the two websites hosted in that server, being different domains. Then I contacted back the server administrator and told me inforc.net’s issuess where being caused by the .httaccess and the other site, they didn’t know.

So I changed the name to BPS’s htaccess to check if the server admin was right and everything worked fine again in inforc.net AND IN THE OTHER SITE!! BPS’s httaccess was affecting both sites. How can this be?? :S Tried creating with BPS different httaccess files, normal, security…but them all made the server crash and only worked a few times after many connection attempts.

As we have many daily visits, I decided to uninstall BPS and install BWPS and both sites started working properly. BWPS it works quite nice, and its easy to use…but I would love to have BPS installed and working again, httaccess makes me feel more secure.

SECOND PART OF THE STORY (maybe provides some usefull info)

Yesterday a section of our site, was blacklisted by google. http ://www.inforc.net/foro/forum was our forum and it suddenly got blacklisted, so visitors received a big red screen. After contacting the server company, they told us their “sub domain” http://www.xxxxxxx.mialojamiento.es, was getting blacklist red screen and maybe our forum had some redirection to that subdomain.

They were right, there were some redirections from our SMF forum to that sub-domain, so we just changed http ://www.xxxxxxxxx.mialojamiento.es and placed instead http ://www.inforc.net/….. and then everything worked fine again in the forum.

Regards 😀

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If you have been using BPS for a while and all of sudden BPS stopped working then most likely something else changed on your Server.  The 2 most common causes for a 500 Internal Server Error are listed here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#internal-server-error

The other common cause for getting a 500 Internal Server Error is a typo or invalid .htaccess code has been added to the .htaccess file.
    Please do these BPS setup steps to create new Master .htaccess files and activate them.
    BPS setup steps:
    1. Activate All BulletProof Modes.

BPS would not have anything to do with the second problem you had since the subdomain name that was used was not valid.
    Standard subdomain naming convention:  forum.ait-pro.com, affiliates.ait-pro.com
    Not valid subdomain naming conventions using a double prefix:  www.forum.ait-pro.com

Zambri

Hello,

as you told me to do, I reinstalled BPS, removed BWPS and activated BP Mode.This is what I got:
    http ://imageshack.us/a/img708/8596/capturadepantalla201303.jpg
    And this affects to these two websites in the same server: www.inforc.net and www .cochecitosrc.com
    Two different domains affected for the BPS .htaccess :S
    Also, the subdomain problem (different) I just mentioned it just in case that it could be helpful for you 😀 never thought it could be BPS’s fault. BUT maybe they changed something in the server and now BPS does not work.
    Did some scans to my site and is suposed to be clean, could you give me a hand please?

Thanks very much.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The 2 most common causes for a 500 Internal Server Error are listed here:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#internal-server-error.  Please click this link and do what the the troubleshooting steps say to do.  Thanks

Zambri

I am going to do them right now, but one more thing:

1,- WHen the htaccess is active, the web loads slowly and just fails “some times”. I mean, I can go in some times and others I get the error.

2.- I phoned the server assistance and they say nothing changed in the server…so…what changed that now BPS htaccess does not work after so many months working? Can I have a virus or something?

Thanks for your kind attention 😀

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

htaccess files in general will not slow down your website noticeably and W3 Total Cache and WP Super Cache use htaccess files to speed up your website.  If you have an infinite loop problem occurring then yes that could cause your website to load slower, but before going that deep check the simple stuff first.  After commenting out the htaccess directives that might be causing the 500 Internal Server Errors then you would want to check these log files.

BPS Security/HTTP Error log

Your Server’s Error Log

Your PHP Error Log

Zambri

Hello again Admin,

I have done what you told me to do…but from the moment I activate BPS mode, the web is more slow and only works properly 3 or 4 of each 10 connections. In the moment I re install a different htaccess everything goes smooth and faster, without fails.

Any other idea?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Check your Log files for any errors and specifically errors that say this: Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects

BPS Security/HTTP Error log

Your Server’s Error Log

Your PHP Error Log

Zambri

GOD!!!! I solved it!!!!

As I told you before, yesterday we had a problem with infoRC.net/foro, as the subdomain was considered “evil” and our forum was linking to that subdomain. So, meanwhile they repaired the subdomain, I decided to erase inforc.net/foro content and create a page called: inforc.net/foro so visitors would be redirected there and they see a message…

THAT WAS THE PROBLEM, I had inforc.net/foro as a folder and inforc.net/foro as a page

Erased the page, solved the problem 😀

Thanks for all!!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Great Job on figuring that out!!!  That was a pretty tricky issue/problem that could have taken a long time to figure out.  Well done on figuring this out so quickly.  😉

Zambri

You gave me the idea talking about: internal redirects

Thanks again!! I hope this helps to some people too 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.