Bulletproof and Mailchimp RSS Conflict

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Bulletproof and Mailchimp RSS Conflict

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    hhart

I am using mailchimp to send an automatic mailing whenever a new post is made on a wordpress blog.  Mailchimp uses the blogs rss feed to generate the mailing. Trouble is, with bulletproof activated, mailchimp cannot read the rss feed.
    When providing the standard wordpress feed url, ex. http://www.mywebsite.com/feed/ ,  mailchimp is says “That is not an existing URL”  ie. it cannot access or read the feed.
    When I deactivate bulletproof, then mailchimp reads the feed just fine.
    I contacted mailchimp and here is what they say the problem is from their end:
    “we see a “forbidden” error when running some tests. This normally means that there’s some kind of permissions issue in the file that holds the feed.  
    When MailChimp tries to recognize RSS feed URLs in the application, we have to send a general ‘are you there?’ request to the feed’s server. Sometimes the server fails to respond that this is a valid resource. Keep in mind that opening the URL in a browser is a different process from this type of request.   
    You may want to consider asking your web or server team about why this feed is failing.  Also, if you have direct access to the file that contains the feed, via ftp perhaps, you could try to check the permissions and make sure they’re set allow access without”
    Since this issue resolves when bulletproof is off, I am wondering what I can do to be able to keep bulletproof activated and have mailchimp read the feed.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster
    hhart

Could you kindly point out which revision I would use for this issue of not reading the rss feed.  Do I use the head request mod or the quotes mod to the code?Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Actually I just updated that Forum post.  I believe both things cause issues.  The HEAD request is a definite issue and the single or double quote issue could be an additional issue.  So do the HEAD Request modification first and see if that is all that is needed.  Typically the single quote issue is going to be isolated to specific Feed posts that use the very, very dangerous coding character in the URL, Title, etc. – the single quote.

hhart

Thanks.
    When I do preview and tests at mailchimp, it is now pulling the feed without my touching any of the code in bulletproof.  I have been working between you and mailchimp on this issue and am, at this time, confused as to where the issue lies.  Mailchimp gave me a work around that wasn’t working and only confused me more with all the different variables I was testing.Add to that the fact that mailchimp only sends once a day so have to wait till tomorrow to find out if a newsletter will be generated and sent from mailchimp with the new post.
    Thanks for your help.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You can always check the BPS Security Log.  It will tell you exactly what the issue/problem is.  Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.