BlueHost Custom php.ini file setup

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BlueHost Custom php.ini file setup

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Lee
    Participant

PS: Just in case you might have any comment of your own to add to my mention of BPS here…

https://wordpress.org/support/topic/serve-wordpress-at-root-for-existing-subdirectory-install?replies=5#post-6324016

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I was a bit surprised that this re-installation did automatically over-write my existing domain-root .htaccess file and showed none of my BPS Free entries in the .htaccess Custom Code boxes, but restoring all of that from my own backup was no problem at all.

Not sure what may have happened on your site, but when you run the Setup Wizard, BPS Pro creates new htaccess files and uses any Custom Code that you have created and saved in BPS free, unless of course you have manually deleted the BPS free Custom Code database options.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oh wait, I know what probably happened.  I advised you to uninstall/reinstall BPS Pro so if you did that then all of your Custom Code database options would have been deleted.  I forgot to mention that you should save a copy of all your Custom Code before uninstalling BPS Pro.  The BPS free plugin uninstallation does not delete the Custom Code, but in a future version of BPS free we will be creating an additional uninstaller that will do that.

Joseph Lee
    Participant

>> “The BPS free plugin uninstallation does not delete the Custom Code…”

That definitely explains what happened here, and that was no problem at all since I needed to tidy things up there just a bit anyway.

Many thanks!

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Yesterday at two (2) of seven (7) sites, I received (only once all day at each of those two sites) a “Connection Time Out” notice I believe was related to the Mike Challis Software “Visitor Maps” plugin.  My guess is that the following was at play there:

MysqlConnectTimeout: Recommended Setting: 30
    Description:
    Connect timeout in seconds. On Linux this timeout is also used for waiting for the first answer from the server. The default setting is 60.

My inclination is to just leave that recommended setting alone and not be concerned about an occasional “Connection Time Out”.  Would you advise differently?

Joseph Lee
    Participant

Also…

>> Me: “I do manage that site, but that is the one domain in the cluster that I do not own…”

It has just struck me that I should have installed BPS Pro at one of my own domains in the first place where login credentials for you in the event of any such need would be quite welcomed.  So, would it be much trouble for you if I were to request switching the BPS Pro license from one location (domain) to another?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Recommended Setting: 30
    Description: Connect timeout in seconds. On Linux this timeout is also used for waiting for the first answer from the server. The default setting is 60. If you are debugging code you should set this to 3-5 seconds.

Check your server log file and see if you find any clues.

You can try and change the MySQL Connect Timeout (mysql.connect_timeout) directive setting to 60 seconds and see if that makes any difference, but usually a Connection Timeout error is caused by things of this nature:  intermittent server connectivity issues, website or host server is being attacked by a larger than usual Brute Force attack, your php maximum memory limit is set too low – should be set to a minimum of 128M, a particular plugin is using up all of your website’s resources (Note: the P3 performance profiler plugin is not accurate whatsoever for checking plugin resource usage – we will be adding a resource checker to BPS Pro in version 10 hopefully or 10.1).

You get 1 Download-Request Key per BPS Pro license and 1 email associated with that Download-Request Key where BPS Pro Activation Keys are sent too.  Each website has a unique Activation Key that you request using your Download-Request Key.  If you want to change the email address where Activation Keys are sent too then send an email from the email address that is associated with your Downoad-Request Key and the new email address where you want Activation Keys sent too.

Joseph Lee
    Participant

>> “…usually a Connection Timeout error is caused by things of this nature:  intermittent server connectivity issues, website or host server is being attacked by a larger than usual Brute Force attack, your php maximum memory limit is set too low – should be set to a minimum of 128M, a particular plugin is using up all of your website’s resources…”

I think I will leave the recommended settings just as they are and see whether and/or how often any “Connection Timeout” might happen again.  The display of the suspected “Who’s Online” feature of that particular plugin while I happen to be at the Dashboard is certainly not mission-critical!

Many thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.