Cannot Edit htaccess file via FTP

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Cannot Edit htaccess file via FTP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sfakuyi
    Participant

Hello Admin,

For a certain plugin I am using, I need to be able to edit the .htaccess files in all my wordpress installations. When I opened the .htaccess file in one of my wordpress installations and edited it and tried to copy and paste it back to its original folder, I get the following error message in my ftp programme “An FTP error occured – cannot put .htaccess. Access Denied. The file may not exit or there could be a permission problem”

I have contacted my hosting company who offered to rename the .htaccess file. I don’t want this. Please is BPS Pro restricting access to my .htaccess file? Why can’t i update it or replace it with my edited version?

Regards

Victor

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If your root .htaccess file is locked with 404 Read Only permissions then you would need to unlock it before you would be able to edit it.  You can unlock your root .htaccess file with either the Unlock button on the Edit/Upload/Download page or you can use F-Lock to unlock your root .htaccess file.

AutoRestore/Quarantine monitors your root .htaccess files for any changes or modifications outside of using the BPS Pro .htaccess file editor.  So if you are going to edit your root .htaccess file and not use the BPS Pro built-in .htaccess file editor then you will also need to turn Off AutoRestore while you are making those editing changes and then click the Root Files Backup Files button on the AutoRestore page before turning AutoRestore back on.

It is recommended that you use the BPS Pro built-in .htaccess file editor to edit your .htaccess files.

sfakuyi
    Participant

Hello Admin,

Thanks for your response.

Do you mean I can do all my edits in the Edit/Upload/Download page without using FTP? If yes, can you specify which tab exactly I need to go to edit the .htaccess file? On the “Edit/Upload/Download page” there are several .htaccess tabs, which of these do I edit to make sure my WP installation takes my changes? I ask because it looks like the “secure .htaccess” and the “Your current Root .htaccess file” tabs appear to be exact copies of each other.

Plus, again just to be sure, are you saying that if I am editing the .htaccess file via the Edit/Upload/Download page, I do not need to turn off autorestore?

Thanks

Victor

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro has a built-in htaccess file editor that allows you to edit your .htaccess files without having to use FTP to do this.

The tab is called htaccess File Editor (edited: Edit/Upload/Download) and is located in B-Core or if you have BPS Pro 5.1.7 installed then the new BPS Pro menu link is:  htaccess File Editor.

The secure.htaccess tab is your Master .htaccess file that is created when you click the Root BulletProof Mode Activate button.

The “Your Current Root htaccess File” tab is your actual currently active root .htaccess file that is created when you click the Root BulletProof Mode Activate button.

No, you do not need to turn off AutoRestore.  BPS Pro automatically creates backup copies and puts them in the /bps-backup folder when you edit your .htaccess files.

sfakuyi
    Participant

Thank you so much Sir for your explanation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.