Can't Uninstall BPS Pro

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Can't Uninstall BPS Pro

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tmarie
    Participant

I inherited a client’s website management and the individual who initially created it installed BPS Pro.  We’ve had a ton of issues with it, so yesterday I attempted to uninstall the plugin, but when I hit the delete button, it says deleting but never actually uninstalls the plugin.  I was under the impression that un-installation could be done via the WordPress interface after reading other posts on this forum.  I’d really like to get this taken care of, as in the deactivated state it appears to be causing issues with me being able to access settings for other plugins.  Is there a step I’ve missed for un-installing this plugin?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The BPS Pro plugin is installed and uninstalled the same as any other WordPress plugins.  It sounds like the website you inherited has some problems that you will need to figure out.  You can manually uninstall the BPS Pro plugin using the steps below.

Notes:  If you do not see the .htaccess files then you need to choose the “show hidden files” option setting in your FTP application or your web host control panel file manager.

1. Use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and delete the /plugins/bulletproof-security/ plugin folder.
    2. Delete the .htaccess files in these locations:
    /plugins/.htaccess
    /uploads/.htaccess
    /wp-admin/.htaccess
    /the-hosting-account-root-folder/.htaccess or the website’s installation folder – /name-of-the-wordpress-installation-folder/.htaccess
    3. Delete the /wp-content/bps-backup/ folder.

tmarie
    Participant

Thank you very much!  Can I also simply delete the BPS Pro MU Tools from the must use folder the same way?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Oops forgot about the MU Tools file and yep just delete it.

tmarie
    Participant

Oops! One more question regarding this.  Is the file advanced-cache.php in the drop-ins section also associated with BPS?  There were no and are no additional caching plugins installed on the site?  I know BPS was involved in caching the site.  Can this file also be deleted?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The advanced-cache.php file is used by W3TC, WP Super Cache and other caching plugins.  BPS does not use the advanced-cache.php file.  I assume at one point someone installed a caching plugin and the advanced-cache.php file is left over from that installation.  You should be able to delete it safely if you are not using any caching plugins.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.