Certain Sections of BPS Pro not showing up, plugin pages blank

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Certain Sections of BPS Pro not showing up, plugin pages blank

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Participant

I am running wordpress 3.9.2 and BPS Pro 9.2 I have all the features on except JTC which is OFF

I was doing a plugin update and the link that says “click here if you are doing an update and not wordpress itself at the same time” I always click after the plugin update with no problems.

Well one time I clicked that link too soon before the update was finished and my whole site went down. To get my site back up I had to FTP all the files from daily backup (12 hours before crash) and restore the database. The site works again but part of BPS Pro do not.

The BPS PRO 9.2 top bar along the top of the dashboard has ARQ: off and the JTC: off (but JTC was already off)
    When I click on the following links under BPS PRO:
    p-security
    s-monitor
    autorestore
    quarantine
    login security
    jtc anti-spam/anti hacker
    db monitor
    f-lock

I get the regular wordpress dashboard with the left side bar, all the warnings at the top, and BPS Pro 9.2 top bar but everything else is a blank page. I can’t find the place to disable BPS Pro so that I can try to delete it and do a fresh install. I don’t know how to get BPS Pro fully working again.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The most current version of BPS Pro is BPS Pro 9.4.   Download the BPS Pro 9.4 zip file if you have not done so already.  If you can get to the BPS Pro Setup Menu >>> Upload Zip Install page then use the BPS Pro upload zip installer to reinstall BPS Pro.  If you cannot get to the Setup Menu >>> Upload Zip Install page then use FTP, delete the old /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder, unzip the bulletproof-security.zip file on your computer and upload the entire unzipped /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder to your /plugins/ folder.  I assume some sort of quarantine problem occurred so login to your site and go to Quarantine and delete all files (if you see any in quarantine) instead of restoring them since you have already restored your website files.

FYI – Personally I never update more than 1 plugin at a time since I am old school Microsoft trained/certified:  only install/update 1 thing at a time and close all other applications when installing/updating applications – never install more than 1 application at a time.  I have never used the WordPress Updates page to update plugins and always update plugins individually on the WordPress Plugins page.  I think updating WordPress itself and plugins at the same time is a potential recipe for disaster.

Jason
    Participant

OK, those setup pages were not showing up so I used FTP to delete and install the new 9.4 BPS Pro. Then I deleted the quarantine. I can see the quarantine now, and the other pages that I couldn’t before. That fixed the problem but a new error is showing up now:

The ARQ Cron FailSafe Shutdown Notice is showing up and I clicked on another dashboard section section several times and it did not go away. It tells me to post a new topic. Is this reply ok or do I need to start a new topic?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Run the Pre-Installation and Setup Wizards again.  The ARQ Cron FailSafe Shutdown is currently preventing a catastrophic error/event from happening, which is of course a good thing that you want to happen.  I checked the error check message and it needs to be updated.  It is an older error check message and several things have changed since that original error message was created, such as the Setup Wizard being created. 😉

Jason
    Participant

I am running the pre-installation wizard and get 3 errors:
    Error: Your BulletProof Security Root Master htaccess file cannot be created.
    WP Filesystem API Method: direct.
    Error: Your /wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php is not writeable.

The file permissions are 644 so I can change them temporarily but what permissions should I give it temporarily. Also same question for wp-config, its at 400 but what permission should i give it temporarily?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

This is why the ARQ Cron FailSafe shutdown occurred.  /wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/includes/class.php is not writable.  This is a catastrophic error/mistake.  The class.php file is a template file that contains your AutoRestore exclude rules – this file MUST be writable at all times.

Ok at this point I need for you to stop doing anything else since the errors/mistakes with your website/file permissions/Ownership could lead to some very serious catastrophic problems.  I need for you to send me a WordPress Admin login to this website and also an FTP login.  I need to see the full scope of the problem/mistakes going on with this website.  Send that login information to edward @ ait-pro dot com

Jason
    Participant

OK, i sent you that info

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, I have recieved it.  While I was checking your site out remotely I noticed that you had PHP5.4 running on Go Daddy.  I was not aware that GD had PHP5.4 available yet.  I just enabled that on our Hosting account.  On other folks hosts I have seen a significant increase in overall website speed so hopefully I see that on our sites. 😉  Will be logging in shortly.  I will keep you posted on progress in email directly and then on completion of “everything” will post back here with a summary.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, looks like a nice boost in speed occurred.  Time to first byte went from 700-800 to 400-500 and load speed went from 2.0 seconds to 1.25 seconds.  Nice.  Ok will be working on your site now.  Just wanted to report that.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, using FTP I confirmed what I thought was the problem.  Your folders and files have 2 different Owners and folder and file permissions are not consistent.  This is actually a very critical problem that needs to be handled ASAP.  The Owner 0 has set folder and file permissions to 777 which could potentially make these files vulnerable to being exploited.  Currently folders and files Owned by 0 with 777 permissions are not writeable to your user account/Owner.  Contact GD and have them sort this all out for you.

Jason
    Participant

Thanks for your help getting BPS Pro back up and running completely. I will get those folder owners and permissions sorted out and set properly for the overall protection of my site.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, no problem.  I did not do anything with BPS Pro since I had limited capabilities/permissions from FTP so once you get the Ownership/Permissions thing all sorted out then everything will magically just work like it is supposed to work…including BPS Pro once you run the Wizards. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.