Changing standard WP to network/multisite

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Changing standard WP to network/multisite

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marty
    Participant

The WP network/multisite installation instructions have all the old WP .htaccess rules being replaced by the following:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

However, in order to begin the installation, all plugins must be deactivated.  Could someone please advise as to the best way to accomplish this task.  Also, all the original WP rules to which the network installation is referring have been completely changed by BPS.  I also need to know what exactly I should replace in the rewritten BSP .htaccess file with the new rules (above).  I appreciate any assistance you may be able to provide.  If it helps any, I will be upgrading to BPS Pro once this site begins generating revenue – you have a great product.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

You would go to the Network Administration Plugins panel and deactivate all active plugins.

After you have finished the Network/Multisite setup go to your Primary site, BPS plugin, htaccess Core and click the Activate buttons to activate BulletProof Modes.

Marty
    Participant

Thanks, however, I already know those steps but in order to complete the Network setup, I have to replace the original WordPress .htaccess code with the new multisite code detailed above.  BPS has altered the .htaccess file so much, I’m not sure what should be replaced and where the new code should be inserted.  Secondly, since all plugins (including BPS) will be deactivated, I will have to make the change directly on the server so how will BPS react to the code change upon reactivation?  Thank you very much for your assistance.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

“…so how will BPS react to the code change upon reactivation…”

Obsolete BPS no longer uses this feature: BPS will not be affected in any way.  BPS is designed to automatically find your site type:  Single/Standard or Network/Multisite and then display which [removed] buttons are the correct [removed] buttons to use for your site type.

Let BPS handle this with the [removed] buttons – that is exactly what they are designed to do – automatically generate and create the correct code and .htaccess files for your particular website.  In other words, you do not need to copy the .htaccess code from the WordPress Network Setup page, that exact same .htaccess code will be created by BPS when you click the appropriate/correct [removed] buttons for your particular site type.  And of course the Network/Multisite code will be created in the correct place in the root .htaccess file for you by using BPS [removed] and activating Root folder BulletProof Mode.  That is the whole point of [removed] – simple/easy/no-brainer – click, activate, done, go on about your business.

Marty
    Participant

Thank you very much for the help.  One last stupid question – should I Network Activate BPS?  I will upgrade to Pro in the near future.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

…The BPS plugin can be Network Activated or you can allow the BPS plugin to be activated individually on each Network / Multisite subsite or of course you can choose not to Network Activate BPS or allow the BPS plugin on subsites…

Click the Security Modes Read Me help button for additional help info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.