Cloned site not working – clone may be bad, BPS Pro links not working

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Cloned site not working – clone may be bad, BPS Pro links not working

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Moon
    Participant

[Topic split into a new Topic]

Ed I have cloned a live site with Duplicator to my localhost, when I reactivate BPSPro there are numerous red error messages which I’m unable to correct  because clicking on the relevant link does not open a new page simply refreshes the page I’m on. Do I need to delete BPSPro reinstall and activate on localhost, how should I proceed?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Chris Moon – Yes, use FTP or your web host control panel file manager and delete the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder.  Reinstall BPS Pro bulletproof-security zip file using the WordPress Upload Zip installer.  This will install new plugin files and not change any of your BPS Pro settings.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed but this didn’t help me, I deleted the BPSPro folder, uploaded a new zip to my localhost installation, closed and re-opened Apache and MySQL and cleared the browser cache but I’m getting the same page with error messages, no links are working in BPSPro so I’m unable to correct the errors

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Delete your root and wp-admin .htaccess files.
    Resave your permalinks.
    If you have php/php.ini code then be sure that it is added to Custom Code.
    DO NOT use FTP to upload the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder – DO use the WordPress Upload zip installer to re-install the bulletproof-security.zip file.

Chris Moon
    Participant

deleted the root and wp-admin .htaccess files on my localhost + deleted the BPSPro folder directly from XAMPPS htdocs and re-installed via WP plugins, saved permalinks but the same problems – a screen with red error messages and no BPSPros links are active so I can’t make any corrections.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Sounds like something is wrong with your clone or how you performed the clone.  I don’t see a BPS Pro related problem here.  Basically it looks like you clone is no good.  If you completely remove BPS Pro and reinstall BPS Pro then that fixes 100% of any BPS Pro issues/problems.  If your clone is no good then uninstalling/reinstalling BPS Pro will not make any difference since the problem is with the clone itself.  Double check everything.  Especially your Database and WordPress settings and permalinks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Here are the steps I use to create local XAMPP Development copies of any Live Production websites.

1.  Create the entry for the new website in the /Windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file.
    2. Create the vhost entry for the new website in the httpd-vhosts.conf file.
    3. Create a new blank database using phpMyAdmin: database name: whatever-name.
    4. Create the new XAMPP website folder: /htdocs/whatever-name.
    5. Copy all the WordPress folders and files to the /htdocs/whatever-name/ folder.
    6. Configure the wp-config.php file so that the DB Table Prefix is the same as my Live site’s DB Table Prefix name.
    7. Create a DB Backup of the Live site using BPS Pro DB Backup.
    8. Import that DB Backup into the Local Development site’s “whatever-name” database using phpMyAdmin.

Note:  Anytime you make changes to any server configuration files you need to reboot your Apache server.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The most common mistake/oversight when doing a DB import or clone is not changing the site URL and Home URL in phpMyAdmin.  Check your database using phpMyAdmin and make sure your site URL and Home URL in your database are correct.  Also make sure your wp-config.php file has the correct DB info for your cloned XAMPP site and is not trying to connect to your Live site.

Chris Moon
    Participant

Thanks Ed that’s a great help I’ll start again with a new clone

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Before you create a new clone check your cloned XAMPP site.  It may be that you have missed something and the clone is fine.  Check your database, check your wp-config.php file and check your WordPress settings.

jenni101
    Participant

Hi,

I realise this thread is a bit old, but I had exactly the same thing using the Duplicator plugin when installing onto my local xampp setup, with a fresh install. BUT I think if I’d fixed a couple of other things first it might have worked, namely:
    re-saved permalinks (though I did try this too)
    checked the media upload settings and changed it to wp-content/uploads as it had the full path instead

Hope this helps anyone else…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.