Conflict w/Easy Updates Manager plugin?

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Conflict w/Easy Updates Manager plugin?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Terri Zx
    Participant

There have been a lot of BPS Pro updates recently. No complaints about that 😉 But it means I have to update every site I manage, and I’ve never successfully gotten BPS Pro to update via the Plugins screen – even using the Manual Upgrade Check procedure. I always have to use the zip install method, which is tedious with a lot of sites!

On a hunch, while updating to 14.8 today, I disabled the Easy Updates Manager (EUM) plugin, and ‘viola’, I see the notice that BPS Pro has an update and I can click to update it on the plugins page. (On my second trial site, I needed to do the Manual Upgrade Check, but when I did, it came up right away.) I can even re-enable the EUM plugin and then update BPS Pro.

Sooo…apparently there is some sort of conflict between the two plugins that pre-dates the new WP built-in automatic update feature?

Terri Zx
    Participant

Update: The behavior is inconsistent. Sometimes disabling EUM works, other times it does not 🙁

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’ll test the Easy Updates Manager plugin.  Most likely what is happening is the Easy Updates Manager plugin is forcing a check for the BPS free plugin for the WordPress API server instead of the BPS Pro plugin, which of course will cancel out the BPS Pro plugin update/upgrade response from our ait-pro.com API server.  I doubt that it would be possible to “fix” that problem in the Easy Updates Manager plugin from within BPS Pro code, but at bare minimum I can create a Dismiss Notice that let’s people know that the Easy Updates Manager plugin blocks/breaks BPS Pro upgrades.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

hmm just saw your latest reply.  That could mean that something is interfering with WordPress Transients > https://developer.wordpress.org/apis/handbook/transients/. Deactivating and reactivating any plugin will affect transient stored DB cache. I’ll look into that further.

Terri Zx
    Participant

I can control what plugins are “managed” by Easy Updates Manager, so I can turn it off for BPS Pro. I’ve already updated to 14.8, but I’ll try that on my own site – I’ll be able to check when the next update comes out.

Unless you can give me access to the 14.7 plugin zip file?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

That’s ok I’ll take care of testing this issue, but thanks for offering.

It used to be very simple to force a new BPS Pro plugin upgrade check, but that has changed in WordPress 5.5.1.  The method I normally use to test BPS Pro plugin upgrade checks from my API server no longer works.  I believe that has to do with the new Plugin Automatic Updates feature in WordPress.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I have tested the Easy Updates Manager plugin and you are correct that it blocks/breaks the BPS Pro update check from the ait-pro.com API server when using the EUM default option settings.  By default the Easy Updates Manager plugin only offers 2 choices for plugins:  Allow or Block.  Both of these option choices block/break the BPS Pro update check from the ait-pro.com API server.  You can get the EUM plugin to not affect BPS Pro plugin updates, but it requires changing the EUM General Settings as explained below.

Went to the EUM General tab.
    Chose Enable all updates.
    Under Plugin updates > selected Choose per plugin.
    Went to the Plugins tab.
    Under BulletProof Security Pro > selected Plugin Updates > Allowed and Automatic updates > Off.

Terri Zx
    Participant

Perfect! Glad that is the solution, it’s easy to implement!

I appreciate your investigating it 🙂

Terri Zx
    Participant

EUM must have fixed/changed something. Now I can only get the BPS Pro upgrade notice if I change back to having EUM manage the plugin (!)

And I have to do the manual upgrade check…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok I’ll retest the EUM plugin and update the forum help info above with the test results.

Terri Zx
    Participant

ARghh. The behavior is inconsistent. I have two sites that just won’t show the update. EuM updates are on for the BPS plugin. I’ve tried manual upgrade check, refreshed the plugins page, visited the Updates screen, logged out and back in and these two just won’t cooperate! Both on same hosting service.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also try clearing your Browser Cache and if you are using a caching plugin clear your plugin’s cache.

Terri Zx
    Participant

Well, after two days one of the sites finally recognized that there was an update. But the other one just would. not. cooperate. lol. So I finally did a manual zip update. And yes I’d cleared cache several times. Hopefully it’ll behave for the next update!

Thanks 🙂

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’m going to retest the EUM plugin later today.  Since WordPress added the new Auto-updates for Plugins and Themes in WP 5.5 I have noticed some API server Request issues.  WP is automatically setting the API Request intervals and it appears to affect other API connections.  Example:  If you miss an automatic update interval for a plugin, WP will set the next check for X hours.  So I believe this impacts other API connections that are not the WP API server.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The version of the EUM plugin that I tested previously was version: 9.0.6, which is the most current version of the EUM plugin.  The EUM plugin was last updated 2 months ago. So the EUM settings that I documented above are current and work for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.