Written plugin – couldnt resolve host, 403 error

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Written plugin – couldnt resolve host, 403 error

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David
    Participant

I installed the Written plugin (by written.com) and when I press the plugin’s “Connect to Written” button it returns this error message: Couldn’t resolve host ‘written.com’ (which they say is a 403 error). They say I need to whitelist their IP, which I’ve tried to do but I have either done it incorrectly or there is some other firewall block.

Any ideas on how to resolve?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’ll install and test the Written plugin and post back here after testing.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I installed the Written plugin and connected successfully without any problems.  This is the displayed message that I see after making the connection:  “Your blog is connected to Written! You can login to your Written account at [URL to the written website].”  So nothing in BPS is blocking the API connection to the Written website.  If you have any other plugins installed that might be blocking the API connection then deactivate them and test again.  If another plugin is not blocking the API connection then check your wp-config.php file for any code that blocks API connections.  If you have added any additional custom htaccess code to BPS Custom Code that blocks by IP addresses then you can do BPS troubleshooting step #2 below to see if your custom code in your root htaccess file is blocking the Written API connection. Then finally check with your Web Host Support folks to see if the server has a firewall that is blocking the Written API connection.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#bps-free-general-troubleshooting
    2. On the Security Modes page, click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Deactivate button.

Also if you are using the BPS XML-RPC Protection Bonus Custom Code:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/wordpress-xml-rpc-ddos-protection-protect-xmlrpc-php-block-xmlrpc-php-forbid-xmlrpc-php/ then it appears that the Written API uses XML-RPC and the User Account that Written automatically creates on plugin installation/setup to connect to your website.  So if that is what is blocking the Written API then you can either delete the XML-RPC Protection Bonus Custom Code or add/whitelist the IP addresses that Written uses to connect to websites in the XML-RPC htaccess code.

David
    Participant

Thanks for the prompt and very detailed help!! I’ve worked my way through all of these. My BPS Security Log is essentially blank so I’ll contact my host support folks next. But just in case, here is my current htaccess:

[Root htaccess code copied and then deleted]

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You are not using any custom htaccess code in your root htaccess file so that eliminates the possibility that additional custom code in the root htaccess file is causing the problem.  Your Expires Caching custom cache code and WP Super Cache code need to be saved to BPS Custom Code so that it is created at the top of your root htaccess file instead of being at the bottom of your root htaccess file – see steps below.

1. Copy your Expires Caching custom cache code and WP Super Cache htaccess code to this BPS Root Custom Code text box:  CUSTOM CODE TOP PHP/PHP.INI HANDLER/CACHE CODE
    2. Click the Save Root Custom Code button to save your Root custom code.
    3. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

David
    Participant

OK thank-you.

I’ve followed your steps and moved the Expires Caching custom cache code and WP Super Cache code to the top. I assume that all my 301 redirects (I have a lot due to a site migration) go at the bottom after:

# HOTLINKING/FORBID COMMENT SPAMMERS/BLOCK BOTS/BLOCK IP/REDIRECT CODE
    # PLACEHOLDER ONLY
    # Use BPS Custom Code to add custom code and save it permanently here.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, that is correct that redirect htaccess code goes in this BPS Root Custom Code text box:  CUSTOM CODE BOTTOM HOTLINKING/FORBID COMMENT SPAMMERS/BLOCK BOTS/BLOCK IP/REDIRECT CODE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.