DB backup created but not sent to email

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro DB backup created but not sent to email

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Krzysztof
    Participant

Hi!

Since February my DB backups are not sent to my email. They are created, they sit nicely in the appropriate folder, the log doesn’t show errors but they don’t get to my mail. I have asked the provider if they can spot any anomalies but they say that everything is OK on their side. Any hints what can go wrong? I’m on PHP 7.3.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Are you receiving other BPS Pro email alerts?  Are you receiving other zip files – Security Log zip file, etc.?  You can test if there is a problem with sending emails on your host mail server by going to the BPS Pro > S-Monitor page > Simple Email Tests > click the Send Test Email button.

How large is your zip DB backup file?  Our host mail server allows up to 30MB zip files to be sent in email.  If you exceed the max limitation for file attachments for your particular host mail server then the email will not be sent.

Have you disabled WordPress standard Crons?  Are you using a Direct Cron?  If you disable WordPress standard Cron jobs and do not set the run time for Direct Cron jobs to run once per minute then the BPS Pro DB Backup email send Cron job will not fire correctly and the DB Backup zip email will not be sent.

Krzysztof
    Participant

Hi!

The test email is sent:

Email Test for the PHP mail() function sent successfully.

I have checked and the DB backup size file created by BPS is in kB for this website.

I don’t know how to check the cron stuff. I probably have not disabled them.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I’m not sure where you are looking for the DB backup size (probably under the DB Monitor database tables)?  Create a manual DB Backup job > run it > click the Backup Files ~ Download|Delete accordion tab > the DB backup zip file size is displayed to you in MB.  Post the size of your DB backup zip file in your forum reply.  Note:  You can also check the size of your database (uncompressed/unzipped) on the DB Monitor > DB Status & Info tab page.

Some web hosts disable WordPress standard crons by default, but if all other BPS Pro Crons are working normally then most likely the DB Backup zip issue is not related to Crons.

Krzysztof
    Participant

Nope – all of the backups are in kB – this is a fresh website with only 5 posts.

I only use Genesis theme, genesis simple edits plugin, clasic editor plugin, google authenticator plugin and BPS Pro. For caching I use advanced cache and object cache but they are drop ins. That is it.

I will try to do the troubleshooting steps after work.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok so that means your database is extremely small.  The DB Backup size is displayed in KB if your DB Backup size is less than 1MB.  What is the total size of your zipped database backup file?  Another possibility could be that your Scheduled database backup job itself has some sort of problem with it.  Try creating a new Scheduled database backup job.

Krzysztof
    Participant

45.21 KB for the latest backup.

The thing is that the backup stopped to work on all of my websites hosted on the same hosting platform and basically using the same Genesis framework themes and child themes and the same set of plugins. I have already tried to delete a job and do a new one but still no email sent.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Sounds like your web host changed something on your host server.  You will need to contact your web host support folks again and ask them to check the server logs for your host server.  Provide them with the times that your Scheduled DB Backup is supposed to run and send you an email so they know what to look for in your server log files.

Krzysztof
    Participant

Does the plugin work with PPH 7.3.1? They are suggesting me to switch back to 5.6 which is a ton slower and at the end of its life.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS Pro works with PHP5.x – PHP7.x.  If your host has configured your PHP server in some different way then that could be the problem.  Standard troubleshooting steps for web host servers are to check the web host server log files first before doing anything else.  So ask your host to do the first troubleshooting step > check the web host server log files.

Krzysztof
    Participant

Hi!

I did some testing and it came out that the DB is sent and created on PHP 5.6, 7.1 and 7.2. As soon as I switch to 7.3 series the DB backup is created but not sent. No PHP error logs. I have checked on 2 domains. Up to PHP 7.2.9 it works but switching to PHP 7.3 series brakes the mail sending system.

There is only one php warning but not connected with the backup.

[24-Apr-2019 23:00:06 UTC] PHP Warning: mysqli_query(): Error reading result set's header in /xxxxx/infolotnicze.pl/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 2007
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I believe the problem is with your php.ini/.user.ini configuration file settings.  When you switch PHP server versions, each PHP server has/loads a php.ini configuration file included with that PHP server.  If you have created a custom php.ini/.user.ini file then any php.ini directive settings that you added in your custom php.ini/.user.ini file will be loaded/applied to your PHP server.

I think this is the direction you should pursue first > https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=49436 > check the default_socket_timeout directive setting in your PHP7.3 server’s php.ini file.

I think this problem isn’t related to mysql error.

I modified php.ini.
    Before : default_socket_timeout = 0
    After : default_socket_timeout = -1

I execute php script. Php script was processed successed.

Default_socket_timeout influence mysqli connection?

I tested below script.

If default_socket_timeout is -1, script isn’t ended.

I think mysqli connection timeout and socket timeout managed separated.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Also have your web host support folks check the MySQL server mysql_error.log file for any errors/clues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.