DB Backup generates .zip and .sql backup files

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro DB Backup generates .zip and .sql backup files

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Var
    Participant

So I have set up 2 weekly DB backup jobs (one on a Sunday and the other on a Wednesday) as I hoped to have twice weekly DB backup schedule.

I see the backup generates a zip file; however, the newly added Wednesday backup seems to have not zipped it and what I see that’s available for download is the .sql file.

I would like all backups to be in zip as it’s space-saving. The zip files are less than 100MB, while the .sql file is 2GB.

Let me know what I am missing here.

Thanks!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS DB Backup is supposed to zip all .sql files.  So most likely some kind of problem occurred that prevented the .sql file from being zipped.  Go ahead and delete the .sql file.  Let me know if the problem occurs again.  Note:  If your database is extremely large than you may want to consider getting a WP plugin that specializes in DB Backups.  BPS DB Backup is an additional feature in BPS, but BPS is primarily a website security plugin.

Var
    Participant

Thanks for your speedy response. I realized there was a cron job problem due to a PHP fatal error, perhaps that could have caused this. Deleted it and I’ll check in the next backup.

I was actually trying to minimize plugin usage so I am glad BPS, although mainly for security, has this handy DB backup tool👍

bpuser101
    Participant

I have the same issue have checked the error log and can’t see anything obvious.

The backup folder has the zip file around 200MB and then a .sql file which is 4.5GB large (the actual database is less than 2GB).

I have manually deleted it but the new file appears the next day when it runs another backup.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ bpuser101 > BPS DB Backup is not designed to handle a database as large as yours.  BPS DB Backup is a light weight DB Backup feature that should be used for average size databases up to 500MB.  For a 2GB database you would need a plugin that specializes in database backups or just use PhpMyAdmin to manually backup/dump your database.

To remove/delete any scheduled database backups do these steps:
    Go to the Backup Jobs accordion tab and delete all scheduled backup jobs.

Then set this independent option setting under the Create Backup Jobs accordion tab > Turn On|Off All Scheduled Backups (Override): to > All Scheduled Backups Off.

bpuser101
    Participant

Thank you for your reply – that is definitely worth noting.

Just as an FYI BPS was pulling it off successfully even when the database was larger. It’s following various updates that it started happening. I will look at another form of backup for the database.

Thanks again to the great team at BPS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.