Download failed Could not open handle for fopen() to /tmp/wordpress-3.tmp

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Download failed Could not open handle for fopen() to /tmp/wordpress-3.tmp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Young Master
    Participant

Hello AITPro Admin,

Am having problems trying to update wordpress to the latest version, whenever i try to update wordpress on the wordpress update page I get this error Download failed.: Could not open handle for fopen() to /tmp/wordpress-3.tmp. This error also appears when I try to update BPS Pro to the latest version on the plugins page which means that I cannot update both wordpress and BPS Pro. Pls help!

The following are the PHP errors am getting after failing to update wordpress:

[28-Mar-2014 23:53:57 UTC] PHP Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Unable to create file /tmp/wordpress-3.tmp because No such file or directory in /home/xxxx/public_html/wp-admin/includes/file.php on line 155
    [28-Mar-2014 23:53:57 UTC] PHP Warning: unlink(/tmp/wordpress-3.tmp) [function.unlink]: Operation not permitted in /home/xxxx/public_html/wp-admin/includes/file.php on line 479
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

See this Forum post for possible causes of the problem:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/bps-50-1-wp-dashboard-update-failure/#post-14185

Young Master
    Participant

I have changed the upload directory path in my custom php.ini file by adding the following code:

upload_tmp_dir = "/tmp"

But unfortunately the code didnt work either. Is there any other way to fix this?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok now you need to kill/restart any web service System processes that are running (in your Host Control Panel) or reboot your Server if you have a VPS or Dedicated Server.  Or wait 15 minutes for your Host to automatically do that so that your new custom php.ini settings will be seen/implemented by your Host Server.

Young Master
    Participant

How do I kill or restart web service system precesses running? Am not using VPS or Dedicated Server. I have also checked whether open_basedir is being used and I found out that its not used.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Never mind killing System processes.  Just do the other “fix” that is listed in the link above.

An alternative is to override the default Server tmp folder path/location is to add this code in your wp-config.php file.  Then physically create that /tmp folder under your wp-content folder and set the /tmp folder permissions to 755.

define( 'WP_TEMP_DIR', ABSPATH . 'wp-content/tmp/') ;
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Out of curiosity what other security plugins do you have installed?  I have seen this same error in the past couple of days and have not seen this error in the last 4 years before that so something is definitely up recently.  Or I guess it could be a freaky coincidence.

Young Master
    Participant

Am using only BPS Pro as my security plugin.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok good one less thing that could be a factor in the problem.  Go to P-Security >>> PHP Info Viewer >>> click the View PHPINFO button.  Use your Browser’s search/find window and search for upload_tmp_dir (it will be under Core Directives) and then post the path that you see displayed.

Young Master
    Participant

I have followed your instructions on how to view PHP INFO and this is what I have found:
    upload_tmp_dir           /tmp               /tmp

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok your tmp directory directive appears to be correct, but maybe your Host has changed the permissions on that system folder and it is no longer writable – you would have to have your Host fix that – it cannot be done via FTP.  Check to make sure your folder permissions for wp-content, wp-includes or wp-admin are correct.  If your folder permissions are all correct then contact your Host and ask them to assist you with this Server problem.

Young Master
    Participant

I have checked the permissions for wp-admin, wp-content and wp-includes and all of them are correct.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok then that leaves the most obvious thing:  Your Host changed something on the Server.  Contact your Host and ask them to correct the problem on the Server with the /tmp directory.

Young Master
    Participant

Ok. I will contact my web host and I will give you feedback. Thank you very much for your help.

Young Master
    Participant

I have contact my webhost regarding this issue and they gave me the same suggestions you gave me. The day this problem started I updated all the wordpress plugins without any problem but I started to see this problem when I tried to update BPS Pro and wordpress…so in that case I think this problem is caused by one or more wordpress plugins that I have updated recently.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.