Error 500 after upgrade to .49

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Error 500 after upgrade to .49

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Fenton
    Participant

Hi – we have used BulletProof with great success for a while now, and apart from adding “AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php” to deal with our host’s (1and1) odd php handling, the setup has always worked fine for us.

Since upgrading to .49 (from .46 I think), we get the php error as expected, but after adding the “AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php”, we get a 500 error report.

I’ve tried commenting out Options-Indexes and Drectory Index, but that doesn’t help.

Replacing the entire .htacces file with just “AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php” restores the site as expected, and as far as I can tell, we aren’t running any other amendments to the .htaccess files.

The site is running as a subdomain from the user’s point of view (staff.event-staff.co.uk) but I believe the installer is correct in identifying us as a standard install, which is the setup we have always used.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks, Matt

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I think what might be happening is your Host does not allow you to lock your root .htaccess file with 404 file permissions.  Or yes maybe they are no longer allowing something that is in the BPS root .htaccess file.

Do these steps.
    1.  Make sure that AutoLock is set to Off on the BPS htaccess File Editor tab page.
    2. Add your php/php.ini handler to BPS Custom Code in this Custom Code text box:  
    3. Click the Save Root Custom Code button.
    4. Go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

Let me know if the site crashes again.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

If this site is a true subdomain site with either a DNS A record or CNAME record pointing to this folder:  /staff/ then the RewriteBase in your root .htaccess file should be this:  RewriteBase /  and not RewriteBase /staff/

Matt Fenton
    Participant

Success!

Excellent support, as many others have already said – thanks very much for your speedy help.

(Interestingly, I manually ftp’d the file to 404 and the site remains live, so most likely my ham-fisted attempts to add the handler code that triggered the 500 error)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, most likely it is the simplest explanation.  I never make mistakes and do everything perfectly every time.  ha ha ha.  It’s the pesky blank space fat finger mistake that always gets my noodle twisted.  For whatever reason I have some kind of damn curse with adding additional blank/whitespace in .htaccess code.  Whitespace == death == 500 Errors.  😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.