BackUpWordPress – Exclude Dynamic Backup Folders

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro BackUpWordPress – Exclude Dynamic Backup Folders

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tony Payne
    Participant

Thw backupwordpress plugin (which I highly recommend) used to create a static folder, but now the folder name includes a string that sometimes changes, for example wp-content/backupwordpress-12755e2451-backups.

The folder sits in wp-content and I want to exclude it using Exclude Dynamic Folders, however as far as I can tell this does not allow a wildcard, so should the folder name change, my backups will get included.

Is excluding these and monitoring the folder name for changes the best way to go, or should I exclude these from autorestore another way?

Since the files are all (except 2) .zip, I guess I could exclude ALL zip files.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

That folder name should logically only be randomly generated when the backup folder is first created.  I don’t think that folder name would change, at least all of the other backup plugins don’t do that.  They generate a unique/random folder name and that folder name stays the same.

Regular Expressions code (wildcards) canNOT be used in ARQ exclude rules.  The folder name/path needs to be exact due to the way these checks need to be done/required by PHP rules in general for the code that is used to do these checks.

The exclude rule would be:  backupwordpress-12755e2451-backups

Another and probably better option would be to change the path in BackUpWordPress options/settings and have the backups be stored under the /bps-backup folder.  The /bps-backup folder is excluded by default and the /bps-backup folder is already protected with Deny All .htaccess file protection.  Only you can access the /bps-backup folder and no one else.  You would NOT need to create an ARQ Exclude rule since the /bps-backup folder is already excluded from being checked by ARQ by default.

Create a folder named:  /website-backups/ under the /bps-backup folder

Change the BackUpWordPress options/settings backup folder path to this folder path.

Example:  /bps-backup/website-backups/ your backups would be stored here

Tony Payne
    Participant

Hmmm hadn’t thought of changing the path, thanks for that.  A much better idea. Simple is always good.

Tony Payne
    Participant

I tried creating a backup folder within /bps-backup and changed the backup location in backupwordpress, but my backups failed.

After a lot of trial and error wondering why the backups kept failing, it looks like BPS is removing the backup folder, even though Cron is turned off for the Autorestore.  I’m not getting any messages on the dashboard to say anything is in Quarantine.  Strange…

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

BPS does not remove/delete folders and only moves, deletes files.  Something else that you have installed on this site must be doing that.

Alex Laxton
    Participant

There are many WordPress backup plugin for saving website data, BPS backup will not delete or modify your data but it will keep safe for future purposes.

acha ji
    Participant

The backup plugin BackWPup can be used to save your complete installation including /wp-content/ and push them to an external Backup Service, like Dropbox, S3, FTP and many more, see list below. With a single backup . zip file you are able to easily restore an installation.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.