Download links not working on website

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Download links not working on website

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DeeDee
    Participant

Hello,

I installed BPS free version and for some reason the file links on the website aren’t working. Previously if you clicked the link, it would pop-up at the bottom of the page to download but now it takes you to a new page with only the name of the file on it. I am wondering if maybe I need to “allow” access to files so visitors can download them? I’m a beginner so I greatly appreciate any thoughts.

Thank you,

DeeDee

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Are the download links part of a plugin?  What is the name of the plugin?

DeeDee
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for your quick response. We do have a file plugin:

File Cabinet by Designgeneers version 1.2.1 (no new versions available)

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I do not see a WordPress plugin with that name in the WordPress plugin repository.  Do this instead…

Check your BPS Security Log and post the log entry that is related to the download link issue/problem.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It looks like it did once exist on WordPress.org, but has been removed.  I see that there is a version (1.2.7) on GitHub by Jonathan-Garber.  I assume that is the same plugin.  I’ll download and test it.

DeeDee
    Participant

I checked and did not see an error for this on the BPS Security Log. When I am on the website and I click the file link, no error message appears. It just takes me to a page that has the name of the file at the top of the page. I’m not sure what happened to the links. I checked the pages in WP and nothing seems unusual.

DeeDee
    Participant

Thank you! I appreciate your help and advice.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Do these steps:
    1. On the Security Modes page, click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Deactivate button.
    2. On the Security Modes page, click the wp-admin Folder BulletProof Mode Deactivate button.
    Test your download link. Is it working correctly or not at this point?

DeeDee
    Participant

It is not working correctly.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok now go to the plugin settings and resave whatever settings create download links.  Maybe this plugin creates .htaccess code?  Otherwise whatever the problem is it is not related to or caused by BPS and could be caused by another plugin or something else that has changed on your website or changed by your Host.

DeeDee
    Participant

Thank you. I will see what I can find out.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

In general, if you want to create .htaccess code that will force files to be downloaded instead of opened you would use this .htaccess code to do that.  Of course you would choose the file extension types that you want to be downloadable.

<FilesMatch "\.(mov|mp3|pdf|mp4|avi|wmv)$">
    ForceType application/octet-stream
    Header set Content-Disposition attachment
    </FilesMatch>
    DeeDee
    Participant

Is that something I can cut and paste directly somewhere in the BPS plugin (she asks hopefully)?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yes, you can add it to BPS Custom Code in this Root Custom Code text box:  CUSTOM CODE BOTTOM HOTLINKING/FORBID COMMENT SPAMMERS/BLOCK BOTS/BLOCK IP/REDIRECT CODE: Add miscellaneous code here

Click the Save Root Custom Code button, go to the BPS Security Modes page and click the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Or probably what would be even better would be to install a new WordPress Download plugin since the plugin you are using is no longer supported or exists anywhere.

This one looks good:  WordPress Download Manager:  http://wordpress.org/plugins/download-manager/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.