File Lock Permissions Question

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro File Lock Permissions Question

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alan sills
    Participant

I just installed BPS Pro on my website (rvacrossamerica.net) – it is currently the only website hosted for me by inmotion (shared hosting). Under file lock, my CGI permissions and status table all show “turned off”. It does show the server is using CGI. For each file (htaccessfile, wp-config.php, etc…) should I use the drop down windows and switch from “checking and alerts off” to “cgi lock”? If so, do this for ALL listed under file lock?

TIA,

Alan Sills

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

When you the run the Setup Wizard the Setup Wizard checks if your current root htaccess file is locked or not.  If your current root htaccess file is not locked then the Setup Wizard does not lock it or any other files and chooses the “Checking & Alerts Off” option setting for all the other F-Lock > File Lock option settings.  This is done as a safety precaution because on some web hosts locking the root htaccess file or other files causes a website to crash.  I’m 100% sure that InMotion hosting allows locking the root htaccess file and the other files listed in F-Lock > File Lock.  You can safely choose to lock the root htaccess file, the wp-config.php file, index.php file and the wp-blog-header.php file.  Leave the DR and GWIOD option settings to:  Checking & Alerts Off.  Note:  F-Lock > Folder Lock is more of a nuisance than a benefit.  So I recommend that you keep Folder Lock turned Off.  😉

alan sills
    Participant

Ok, great and thank you! I’ve made the changes; As I add more websites (domains) to my shared account, should I use the same settings on F-Lock for each domain or do I leave the additional domains unlocked for each setting you suggested I lock for my primary domain?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, you would use the same F-Lock settings on each website.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.