Uninstall BPS – remove BPS using Uninstall Option, remove BPS manually

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Uninstall BPS – remove BPS using Uninstall Option, remove BPS manually

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Elissa Lowe

I recently installed the free BPS plugin on my WP multisite. Everything went smoothly and according to plan… until today. This morning, I tried installing the update, using the automatic update feature in my network dashboard. The update seemed successful… but when I tried to navigate to the main domain dashboard I got a 403 – Forbidden page. Basically, my entire multisite went down. I was able to restore the site by deleting the root .htaccess file and uploading the original from my backup. But – of course – BPS is now disabled. Any insights? Also: to delete the plugin, the instructions state that I should first deactivate bulletproof mode. This failed – I’m assuming this is because the secure.htaccess file no longer exists. Can I just proceed to deleting the wp-admin .htaccess file and uninstalling the plugin in the network dashboard?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

To uninstall the BPS plugin follow the steps below.

BPS removal steps:

Uninstall Options
    1. An Uninstall Options link is located on the WordPress Plugins page under the BulletProof Security plugin.
    2. Clicking the Uninstall Options link loads a jQuery UI Dialog Form with 2 BPS plugin uninstall options.
    3. If you are upgrading to BPS Pro, select the BPS Pro Upgrade Uninstall option and click the Save Option button or just click the Close button below and do a normal plugin uninstall.
    4. If you want to completely delete the BPS plugin, all files, Custom Code and BPS database settings, select the Complete BPS Plugin Uninstall option and click the Save Option button.

Unable to login into your website:

1. Use FTP or your Web Host Control Panel File Manager and delete the .htaccess file in your website root folder and the .htaccess file in your wp-admin folder.
    2. Log into your website Deactivate and delete BPS on the WP Plugins page.

Elissa Lowe

Ok, so I take it that you don’t know what might have happened during the update?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

[obsolete-removed]

Here is some Network/Multisite specific help info:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#network-multisite

ndelrio
    Participant

[Topic has been merged into this relevant Topic]
    Hi, free user here.

I’ve installed the plugin 2 days ago and everything seemed to run smoothly. However today I only get a blank page for both the website and the dashboard. I followed your trobleshooting instructions (replacing htaccess in the root directory and wp-admin folders and also renaming the pluginfolder to _bulletproofsecurity). Still I get no access to the dashboard.

The only thing I can think of right now is removing the plugin manually. Would removing the BPS plugin folder be enough? Are there any other files I need to remove?

Thanks in advance!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ ndelrio – Since you renamed the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder and deleted the root and wp-admin htaccess files and the problem was still occurring then the problem is not related to or caused BPS.  To manually delete BPS you would manually delete the /bulletproof-security/ plugin folder and manually delete the root and wp-admin htaccess files.  Pretty much identical to the BPS troubleshooting steps.  Is this the site that was having problems:  http://www.ndelrio.com/?  I just checked the site and it is up and displaying correctly.  If you are still seeing a blank page then clear your Browser Cache.  If that does not work then disable anything in your Browser or on your computer that could be causing the problem.

ndelrio
    Participant

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

Actually the website is http://www.doparana.com, still showing a blank page. I’ll try removinf BPS manually later today.

I’ve also noticed that the directory “wp-content/bps-backup/master-backups” holds a backup of the original .htaccess files for the root and wp-admin directories. I’ll use these to get the site back to the way it was before installing BPS. However, there’s another .htacces file in this folder, do you know if this relevant? Is this also a backup for another directory?

Thanks!

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ ndelrio – You should just be able to delete the root and wp-admin htaccess files and should not have to replace them if the problem is related to or caused by BPS.  When I check the site it appears that there is a problem in your wp-config.php file or with your Theme.  Check your wp-config.php file for any code that should not be in the wp-config.php file or code in the wrong place in your wp-config.php file.  Use the default/sample WordPress file:  wp-config-sample.php file to compare your wp-config.php file for any code differences.

Rob B
    Participant

Working on this problem today

I was uninstalling BPS today.  Followed the instructions

Saved uninstall option

Went to Plugins.

Clicked Deactivate.

Poof My whole public_html directory disappeared

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

I see that you posted another forum question and checked your site and it appears to be working fine.  So is this problem still occurring or did you find a solution?

Rob B
    Participant

Found what happened and it wasn’t related to BPS. Strange coincidence.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Glad you got it figured out. Thanks for confirming that your site is working fine now.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.