Getting messages from a site that hasn’t existed for years

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Getting messages from a site that hasn’t existed for years

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ginger
    Participant

Hello all,

Since the 17th September, I’ve been getting 2 emails like “BPS Pro Alert: The BPS plugin has been deactivated – October 14, 2021 – 7:16 am” each and every day.

The content is:

The BPS plugin has been deactivated on website: https://www.magic-weddings.com. To stop these email alerts from being sent while BPS is deactivated, go to the WordPress Plugins page, click the Must-Use link, click the BPS MU Tools Disable BPS Folder|Deactivation Checks link. If you just upgraded BPS you can ignore this email alert.

Note: If you are troubleshooting the BPS plugin then click this BPS Troubleshooting link: https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#bps-free-general-troubleshooting. The BPS plugin has built-in troubleshooting capability and should not be deactivated for troubleshooting. Deactivating BPS removes the built-in troubleshooting tools/capabilities. You can turn all BPS security features On or Off for troubleshooting to isolate exactly which BPS security feature is causing an issue/problem or to confirm or eliminate BPS as the cause of an issue/problem.

However, magic-weddings.com hasn’t existed for years! So, there’s no WordPress website for me to go and change settings for.

How can I sort this?

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Did you own this domain at some point? That domain is currently owned by someone, but the website is not loading.

Domain information for:  magic-weddings.com

Hosting Provider: Icidc Network
    Hong Kong - Aberdeen - Icidc Limited

Web server type: nginx

Registrar Status: ok
    Dates: 80 days old
    Created on 2021-07-26
    Expires on 2022-07-26
    Updated on 2021-07-26

Ping results:
    magic-weddings.com is reachable using fsockopen Port 80.
    Response Time: 200 milliseconds
    IP Address: 156.255.62.179
    Hostname: 156.255.62.179

DNS results:
    host magic-weddings.com
    class IN
    ttl 576
    type SOA
    mname jm1.dns.com
    rname admin.dns.com
    serial 1627374794
    refresh 7200
    retry 3600
    expire 1209600
    minimum-ttl 1800

host magic-weddings.com
    class IN
    ttl 497
    type A
    ip 156.255.62.179

host magic-weddings.com
    class IN
    ttl 21497
    type NS
    target jm2.dns.com

host magic-weddings.com
    class IN
    ttl 21497
    type NS
    target jm1.dns.com
    Ginger
    Participant

I owned it in the past and had WordPress (and BPS) on it.

However, I let the domain die a good few years ago.

If someone owns it now, I have no idea who they are.

How can I be getting these messages?

And how can I stop them?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Since the website is not up and since the Whois contact information for the domain owner is private then these are your options:

Most likely the new domain owner will delete all the files for your old website and the problem will get fixed.
    Wait for the domain owner to fix the website and when it is up send the domain owner an email via the website contact form.
    Create an email rule in your email application to automatically do something with the emails.  ie automatically send them to your email application deleted folder.

Ginger
    Participant

OK.

Is that the best that I can do? Just auto-delete the emails?

It seems crazy that I can’t stop them.

Where are they coming from?

‘What’ is sending them?

Even if someone else has bought my old domain name, they can’t have got my old install of WordPress as well, can they? The install was on my previous hosting account. The people who have bought the domain don’t have access to my old hosting account.

I don’t understand why it’s happening.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The email alerts are coming from the /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-mu-tools.php file on this website: magic-weddings.com.  Note: This BPS MU Tools alert was discontinued/removed in BPS 3.2.  Since the /wp-content/mu-plugins/bps-mu-tools.php file exists on this website: magic-weddings.com and the emails are being sent to your email address then that means that your old installation of WordPress and BPS still exist on that website.

Just treat this situation like email spoofing spam or all the other various types of spam that you receive daily.  I receive around 300 spam emails a day (that number increases daily) and have created email application rules to deal with those spoofing and spam emails.

Since that feature is no longer used in BPS then the email application rule that you want to create is this: Send the email to your email deleted folder if the Subject is: The BPS plugin has been deactivated.

Ginger
    Participant

OK. Thanks for the explanation.

Regards,
    Damian

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.