Handling WP crom as an external cron task

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Handling WP crom as an external cron task

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lincoln stoller
    Participant

My UpdraftPlus Backup/Restore plugin, inside my WordPress Avada theme, warns me:

“Warning: WordPress has a number (7) of scheduled tasks which are overdue. Unless this is a development site, this probably means that the scheduler in your WordPress install is not working. Read this page for a guide to possible causes and how to fix it.

One of the suggested fixes is to run the WP cron job as an external cron job, managed by the host, instead of an process internal to WP.

Tech support at my host tried to do this. They disabled the WP cron task in the wp-config.php file and then assigned to call to the cron.sh tasks to the host’s own cron processor. That was straightforward enough. But they also found they needed to modify a parameter that BPS included in the .htaccess file. In particular, they needed to remove the parameter “libwww.perl” from the following line:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} (havij|libwww-perl|wget|python|nikto|curl|scan|winhttp|clshttp|loader) [NC,OR]

But now there’s a problem: BPS overwrites and replaces this parameter in .htaccess every time I run the BPS Install Wizard, so this change is not maintained.

My question for BPS is this: what is your recommended method for running the WP cron tasks outside of the Word Press engine?

Thanks

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

You just need to save your modified BPS Query String Exploits section of code to BPS Root Custom Code so that your modification will be saved permanently and your modified BPS Query String Exploits section of code will be used by the Setup Wizard when you run it.

Copy your entire BPS Query String Exploits section of code from your Root htaccess file to this BPS Root Custom Code text box:  12. CUSTOM CODE BPSQSE BPS QUERY STRING EXPLOITS.
    Click the Save Root Custom Code button.

I use standard WP Crons out of the box and don’t muck around with them because they always work fine, unless of course something else is breaking them. In that case I would find and fix the problem instead of changing something that works fine.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.