Headset not working in Docking station – Realtek Audio Codec

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro Headset not working in Docking station – Realtek Audio Codec

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Symptoms:

Headset does not work in a Docking station, but works when connected to a laptop USB port.
    Headset works in a Docking station, but intermittently disconnects and stops working.
    When a headset is connected to a Docking station it causes all other devices that are connected to lose connection with the Docking station.
    Moving the person to a different cubicle and the headset works in the Docking station at that cubicle, but does not work at that person’s cubicle.

Environment:

Dell laptops (primarily Latitude laptops) and Dell Docking stations (D6000, WD19TB, WD22TB4).  DDPE (Dell Encryption).

Cause of the problem:

Outdated version of DDPE, which causes catastrophic failure for some Realtek High Definition Audio Codec Device Driver versions:  10.0.66.126, A04, 10.0.207.1, A36.  After DDPE encrypts the device driver the problem causes Dock USB disconnects as well as overall OS catastrophic failure.  ie the OS will not complete a restart when choosing restart and will instead shutdown.  You need to disconnect the USB-C dock cable from the laptop and hold the power button on the laptop in order to boot up.

Workaround Solution (this is for a Dell Latitude 9520 laptop):

Install the Realtek High Definition Audio Device Driver: version: 10.0.66.191, A10 > https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-aw/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=p00dt&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-15-9520-2-in-1-laptop Note: This Realtek High Definition Audio Device Driver: version: 10.0.66.160, A04 appears to work as well.

Important Note: This link points to a specific Dell Latitude 9520 laptop model. Use the Dell search feature for your specific Dell laptop model as there are different device drivers for each different Dell laptop models.

Permanent Solution:

Upgrade DDPE to a current version (in our case we are moving to Bitlocker).  Note: I assume upgrading to a current version of DDPE will fix the problem.  Since we are moving to Bitlocker disk encryption vs DDPE system level encryption then the root cause of the problem caused by DDPE encrypting system device driver files will be non-existent.

Kiet Tu
    Participant

Hi !

I encountered same issue with my Dell Docking Station WD22TB4:

• When I plug USB Headset Logitech H540 into the Dock after 15mins – 20mins play audio or video It will be muted suddenly even though video was playing

I have tried to install all driver included Realtek HD Audio driver and Intel HD Graphic from Dell Support websites and reinstall Windows but it didn’t work

Please help me

Thanks and Regards

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Sounds like the headset wire is damaged.  Check the wire for any obvious damage especially where the wire connects to your headset.  You can try moving the wire around to see if the audio comes back when moving the wire around. If the wire is damaged then replace the headset.

I doubt this is a driver problem, but you can try updating the firmware on your dock and rebooting the dock. You can also run Dell Command Update to update all of your Dell drivers.

Grant
    Participant

I have the same problem as @keit Tu;  both my home and work headsets work fine while plugged into my Dell laptop, but not when plugged into either Dell docking stations.  After 5 – 15 min; I get a blast of static, and then silence.  resetting it makes it work again for a while.  Everything seems updated; no idea how to start troubleshooting this.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

@ Grant – Try uninstalling the Realtek Audio driver from the Control Panel. Then download the Realtek Audio (Codec) driver from the dell.com website and install it.  If that does not work then download the latest docking station firmware update from the dell.com website.

Grant
    Participant

well – uninstalling the Realtek Audio Driver worked!

Haven’t found a need to reinstall it…..  System no longer recognizes external camera microphone, but no other negative impacts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.