Hostgator suspension

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Hostgator suspension

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Eila

I received an email and telephone call notifying me that they had to suspend my script …… public_ html access as it was causing a heavy load on the server and it was affecting all the other accounts in the system.   I have many sites and 99% of the issue was with BulletProof Security.  I have  been updating the plugin on each site manually for the last few days which probably caused it.  With each update I had to go through the whole process of setting it up again, and sometimes twice.  Is there a way it can be done automatically with one click? This is a quote from their email:
    “Unfortunately I do not have any specific recommendations for this script, however, in general, adding some sort of caching mechanism, where the script does not need to generate a new page with every request, helps to lower the over load that a script will cause. Likely the original author or support group of the software that you are using will be able to help you to understand how to add something of this nature.” As of now, I have stopped all updating, but I still have more to be done.  I am looking forward to hearing from you so that I may get back to Hostgator with an action plan.  thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

“…where the script does not need to generate a new page with every request…”

BPS does not generate new pages with every request so I assume the person who said this was either referring to another WordPress plugin or was just mistaken about what the actual issue/problem is that is occurring on your website.

There are only 2 cases where folks have reported a hosting suspension warning with BPS installed.

1.  An infinite redirect loop is occurring due to incorrect custom .htaccess rules or invalid .htaccess code added to the BPS .htaccess files or an infinite redirect loop is occurring due to a conflict with another plugin.

2.  BPS was assumed to be the problem, but the problem was actually being caused by another plugin and had nothing to do with BPS.

BPS is installed on 1,000’s of web hosts worldwide and does not normally cause this type of issue/problem.  We have a HostGator hosting account and many other hosting accounts on many different hosts with BPS Pro installed and have never received a warning from any of those hosts.

Let’s determine if BPS is actually the cause of this issue/problem or if an infinite redirect loop problem is occurring.
    Please post this system information about your Server/website, which you will find on the BPS System Info tab page.

Server Type:
    Operating System:
    Server API:

Either check your Server Logs yourself or have the HostGator folks check the Server Logs and have them look for this redirect loop error – “Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error”.  In the Topic link below this person was able to stop the infinite loop redirect errors by not using BPS Error logging .htaccess code.  This of course means that the true cause /confict is not actually solved, but will stop the end result, which is excessive error logging.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/request-exceeded-the-limit-of-10-internal-redirects/

Yes, BPS is one click and does not require manual configuration unless you have a DSO or non-suPHP Server configuration.  The System Info you will post above about your Server/website will show whether you have a DSO Server configuration or not.

Eila

Hi:

This is the information you asked me to post:
    Server Type: Apache
    Operating System: Linux
    Server API: cgi-fcgi – Your Host Server is using CGI.

Thanks,

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok so now explain what you mean with this statement –  “…I have  been updating the plugin on each site manually for the last few days…”.  Are you unable to use the [obsolete-removed] buttons and activate BulletProof Modes on your websites?

What I want to make sure of is that the [obsolete-removed] buttons were used when you first installed BPS on your sites.  If not, then what will happen is that when you install a BPS plugin update/upgrade then the original problem of not using the [obsolete-removed] buttons will still occur until you use the [obsolete-removed] buttons before activating BulletProof Modes for the first time.  BPS plugin updates/upgrades are automated, but if you have a pre-existing problem of not using the [obsolete-removed] buttons when you first installed BPS then the update/upgrade will not automatically fix that pre-existing problem.

Eila

Hi:
    To update this is what I do:
    Click on the Security Modes Tab
    [obsolete-removed]
    [obsolete-removed]
    then I go to Activate Security Modes Activate Website Root Folder .htaccess Security Mode
    I check on BulletProof Mode and click Activate Activate Website wp-admin Folder .htaccess Security Mode
    I check on BulletProof Mode and click Activate Activate Deny All htaccess Folder Protection For The BPS Master htaccess Folder
    I check on Bullet Proof Mode and click Activate
    I then go to Backup and Restore Tab Backup Your Currently Active .htaccess Files
    I check on Backup .htaccess Files  and then click on Backup Files
    Backup Your BPS Master .htaccess Files
    I then go back into the Security Modes Tab and choose…
    Activate Deny All htaccess Folder Protection For The BPS Backup Folder
    Check BulletProof Mode and click on Activate.
    I finish by checking the Security Status.
    Each time I do an update I get a message that I am not protected, etc. so I go through this process again.  I am talking about approximately 100 sites.  That was why I was also asking about an easier way.

———I just did an update and checked the security status and it read as follows:

Activated BulletProof Security .htaccess Files

[obsolete-removed]

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Here are the BPS Setup steps.  You do not really need to do any BPS file Backups unless this is a first time installation of BPS.  You also do not need to activate the Deny All BulletProof Modes – they are activated automatically, but some folks still need to do this manually if their Server type does not allow automatic Deny All BulletProof Mode activation.

BPS setup steps:
    1. Activate All BulletProof Modes (Deny All BulletProof Modes are activated automatically).
    2. Setup complete.

Note:  In order for BPS Pro to work correctly you MUST be using a Custom Permalink Structure:  http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks#Choosing_your_permalink_structure

The reason you are seeing the error is because the root .htaccess file version is still showing the last/old BPS version .48.2 and not the new BPS version .48.3.  BPS Pro upgrades are automated and you should not have to do anything except for install the new BPS version.  The version number should be automatically updated as well as any other new .htaccess file changes in the new BPS version.

So for some reason on your site the root .htaccess file is not successfully being automatically updated, but the wp-admin .htaccess file is being automatically updated.  Go through the steps again and watch for any error messages.  If you see any error messages then post them here.

Eila

BPS setup steps:
    1. Activate All BulletProof Modes (Deny All BulletProof Modes are activated automatically).
    2. Setup complete.

I followed this setup when I updated the plugin and I did not get any errors. This may sound like a dumb question but I’m not very techy….but will this setup above (even for the updates) avoid the overload on the servers that Hostgator is concerned about.  In other words, do I present this as a solution to Hostgator?

thanks,
    Eila

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

There are only 2 cases where folks have reported a hosting suspension warning with BPS installed.

1.  An infinite redirect loop is occurring due to incorrect custom .htaccess rules or invalid .htaccess code added to the BPS .htaccess files or an infinite redirect loop is occurring due to a conflict with another plugin.

2.  BPS was assumed to be the problem, but the problem was actually being caused by another plugin and had nothing to do with BPS.

The standard BPS setup steps work on 1,000’s of different web hosts without any issues/conflicts or any other problems.

Please ask your Host Support to check the Server Error Log for this error – “Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error”.

Eila

Hi:
    Just to follow up with you, I sent this on to Hostgator  “Please ask your Host Support to check the Server Error Log for this error – “Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error”. and I received the following reply”. “Thank you for contacting us. It does not appear that any of those errors were causing the issue. Furthermore, you should review the following articles for more information:…”. I have now been reinstated and hopefully everything is resolved.  Thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Ok great!  If your Host is giving you the thumbs up after checking the Server Logs then everything is fine at this point and you have officially gotten an OK from them.  And you have also confirmed that BPS was not the cause the problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.