htaccess files – deactivating and uninstalling BPS Pro

Home Forums BulletProof Security Pro htaccess files – deactivating and uninstalling BPS Pro

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Goran
    Participant

Hello, new customer here. I installed BPS Pro on wp multisite, then deactivated it and then uninstalled it.
    Deactivation will leave the BPS Pro rules in htaccess.
    Uninstall BPS Pro completely deleted htaccess from the server root.

Is this normal plugin behavior when deactivating and uninstalling?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

On a standard single site installation of WordPress deactivating BPS Pro turns off all cron jobs.  Uninstalling BPS Pro deletes all plugin option settings and files and replaces the BPS Pro root htaccess file with a default WordPress root htaccess file.  The same exact things should occur on a Network|Multisite installation of WordPress, but I just tested uninstalling BPS Pro on a Network|Multisite site and the root htaccess file was not replaced with a default WordPress root htaccess file.  So this is a bug that will need to be fixed in the next BPS Pro version release.

Additionally BPS Pro is designed with built-in troubleshooting steps.  So that you do not need to deactivate or uninstall BPS Pro to do troubleshooting.  All BPS Pro features can be turned On or Off individually > https://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-pro/#bps-pro-general-troubleshooting

Goran
    Participant

Ok, thanks for testing and detecting the bug right away. 🙂

btw. I uninstalled it because the client has a site on a horrible server and when I tried to do a scan with MScan Malware Scanner, the server crashed and blocked the account due to overuse of resources. Tried several times with the same result.
    It might be a good idea to build into the plugin an option of some sort of compatibility mode to reduce the memory consumption on shared servers (maximum request size, delay between requests etc).

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yeah I was not aware that the flush_rewrite_rules() function does not work on Multisite sites.  I never liked using that function anyways since it is memory intensive.  A better solution is to use my existing root htaccess file creation code (minus any security rules) in the BPS Pro uninstall function.

Most likely the server configuration is causing the MScan scanning problem > https://wordpress.org/support/topic/mscan-process-not-working-properly/. I don’t think it’s possible to check the server config from a website or plugin, but I’ll look into that.

Goran
    Participant

I didn’t think that BSF automatically detects server compatibility but that admin can manually reduce or increase it. Take a look how it is made in WP Migrate DB Pro plugins from Delicious Brains.
    This could extend the scan time, but reduce the intensity.

Take a look, admin has the option to set Maximum Request Size and Delay Between Requests:

https://youtu.be/rAivGKPvmUs

I also have another suggestion, it seems to me that this pop up window that appears when MScan scanning is not necessary, it only consumes extra resources. I like how something similar is solved in the WP Rocket cashing plugin. If you click on Preload cashe it will display a message at the top of the page:
    Preload: 4 uncached pages have now been preloaded. (refresh to see progress).
    So you can leave page or you can refresh it for a couple of minutes and you will see message:
    Preload: 84 uncached pages have now been preloaded. (refresh to see progress).
    At the end of preloading on refresh page you will see message:
    Preload complete: 118 pages have been cached.

https://v3b4d4f5.rocketcdn.me/wp-content/uploads/1/new-preload-system.png

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, for certain server configs even reducing intensity or extending scan times would not work.  The problem is how certain server configs process the code and files itself.  At some point I am going to setup several different types of server configs to determine which ones are fubar.  What I can do from there is what I have done with getting the Apache Modules configuration data from the server.  Example scenario: Run a very small pre-scan to determine if the server config is fubar.  Then display a message on the MScan page – “your server config does not allow MScan scanning to work properly.  Try changing your server config type: X  to type:  Z and see if MScan scanning works or not on your particular host server.”  MScan is just a malware scanner and not anything super advanced like BPS Pro AutoRestore|Quarantine, which works on every type of server configuration and is 100% accurate vs malware scanners, which are 85% accurate at best.

Yeah the scan progress popup is supposed to be just a gimmick.  So I went overboard on making it accurate down to plus or minus 15 seconds.  The popup uses minimal resources.  I’ll probably just use the silly default WordPress spinner down the road since scan progress really only needs to be a gimmick thing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.