Embed Any Document – Google Docs Viewer – Idle Session Logout

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Embed Any Document – Google Docs Viewer – Idle Session Logout

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Eric Coates
    Participant

I am using the Embed Any Document plugin to display a PDF file for students.  I need to have a user logout function.  I have installed BPS to use the Idle Session Logout.  Embed Any Document is using the Google Viewer to display the pdf.  The student scrolls through the pdf in the Google Viewer by the scroll wheel or clicking on the scroll bar.  When the student is scrolling through the pdf, ISL does not recognize activity.  ISL will log the student out even though they are scrolling/clicking in the Google Viewer.  Is there a way to make this work?  Thanks for your help.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

A PDF or any document is displayed in the Google Docs Viewer Frame.  A Frame is basically the same thing as an iFrame.  The “i” in iFrame stands for “inline”.  So when someone is using the mouse or keyboard inside of a Frame then basically this is the same thing as leaving your site or not being on your site because everything inside a Frame is actually another website:  https://drive.google.com  If you have an iFrame and the contents/source displayed in the iFrame is a page/URL on your website then the ISL Event Listeners will work normally and detect mouse and keyboard events.

ISL uses Event Listeners to detect mouse and keyboard events.  It looks like it may be possible to add an Event Listenter for a Frame:  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5443542/how-can-i-perform-a-listener-on-one-frame-not-all  I have scheduled a task to look into this to see if this will work or not.  Unfortunately, ISL currently does not have any options to allow the ISL Event Listeners for Frames.

A workaround solution would be to manually add new code in BPS that excludes specific URL’s/URI’s.  What that means is you could exclude any pages from being checked by ISL that contain Frames with embedded documents, but if you want ISL to work on embedded document pages then this workaround solution would not work for you because it would be the same thing as not using ISL or turning ISL off on particular pages/URL’s.  Let me know if that is something you want and I will post the manual code workaround edit that is required.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

It looks the best solution would be to add 2 new ISL options:

1. A new option to exclude ISL on specific pages.
    2. A new option that detects when someone enters a Frame with an additional separate Idle Session Logout Time in Minutes setting.  Example:  Someone enters a Frame and the logout time for Frames is set to 1 hour (or whatever setting time is chosen).  If the person does not exit the Frame after 1 hour they will be logged out of the site.  If the person exits the Frame before the 1 hour time setting is completed then the standard Idle Session Logout Time in Minutes setting will kick in set the timeout time to whatever that time setting is.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.