Installing BPS with an existing .htaccess file

Home Forums BulletProof Security Free Installing BPS with an existing .htaccess file

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Techgirl
    Participant

Hello,

I am about to install/activate the free BPS plugin for WordPress (will likely upgrade to the Pro version later) but have some questions to ask before I do.

1. From what I understand I must do a backup firstly?
    2. I already have a .htacess fle in my root folder, so does that mean I have to miss the step to create a new “default”one and instead only “secure” it?
    3. Also, I have read many articles on problems with the CPanel hot linking tool and BPS. Currently the hot linking feature is disabled. Will there be any likely problems with the installation?
    4. Also, are there any tutorials for the installation process.

Thanks.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

The BPS built-in .htaccess file backup is recommended for first time installations of BPS just as a precautionary step.  If you have not created any custom .htaccess code yourself then you do not need to backup your .htaccess files or add any custom .htaccess code to BPS Custom Code.

If you have created custom .htaccess code in your current root .htaccess file then you can copy it to BPS Custom Code first before going to the BPS Security Modes page and clicking the Root Folder BulletProof Mode Activate button. Your custom .htaccess code will be saved permantently by doing this.

See the Read Me First Topic here for the known cPanel issue/problem/solution:  http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#cpanel-hotlink-protection

Extensive help can be found within BPS Pro by clicking on the Blue Read Me help buttons.  The Search feature in this Forum is a beefed up search engine that will produce relevant search results.

Techgirl
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance. The information you have provided makes sense and is useful.  I was able to install Bullet Proof Security for WordPress however, I received the following error message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1966080 bytes) in /xxxxxxx/xxxxxxx/xxxxxxx/wp-content/plugins/bulletproof-security/admin/options.php on line 1592

I did try to find this line but cannot seem to access it.

Therefore I tried to contact my hosting company about increasing my PHP memory limits, which they said I could do, but they would not be able to provide any support to assist me through the process. The first method I tried was modifying the .htaccess file which did not work and I received a site error (sorry forgot which one but I think it was a 300 error; so I updated the wp-config.php file with the code:

define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’64M’);

However I am still receiving the same error, but the site is still viewable.

I am a little nervous about editing the php.ini config file because I know nothing about restarting Apache.

What do you suggest? Can you provide me with clear instructions on what to do?

Also, I de-activated BPS every time I updated anything in CPanel File Manager. I am also wondering if I should just delete BPS and try to reinstall and see if that works. I am not sure how to uninstall it.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Yep, 32M of memory is barely enough memory to run WordPress itself.  The bare minimum should be 64M.  Most Hosts allow at least 128M.  cPanel has a PHP Configuration Tool.  You should be able to increase your memory limit using that tool.

docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/PhpConfgEditor

Techgirl
    Participant

Hello,

Apologies for the belated response. I locked myself out of the BPS Forum and had to wait to get entry. Nice to know  the limit on logins works. 🙂

I increased the PHP memory and did have BPS successfully working with no errors.  However, today, there appears to be the following error displaying:
    “Either a BPS htaccess file was NOT found in your root folder or you have not activated BulletProof Mode for your Root folder yet, Maintenance Mode is activated or the version of the BPS Pro htaccess file that you are using is not the most current version or the BPS QUERY STRING EXPLOITS code does not exist in your root htaccess file. Please view the Read Me Help button above.

[obsolete-removed]

Could you please tell me what I need to do to rectify this error?

(I will try to work my way through the “Read Me” file but any instructions or explanation would help).

Thank you.

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Most likely this is the cPanel Broken HotLink Protection Tool problem.  You just need to lock your Root .htaccess file or this problem will continue to occur repeatedly.  FYI – you cannot disable the cPanel HotLink Protection Tool – disable is also broken.

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#cpanel-hotlink-protection

Or it could be the second most common problem.

The WordPress flush_rewrite_rules function problem

http://forum.ait-pro.com/forums/topic/read-me-first-free/#flush-rewrite-rules

Techgirl
    Participant

Hello,

Thanks for your response.  I don’t think it was the CPanel Hotlink Protection Tool. I also locked my Htaccess file before I enabled all BPS modes.

This time, I disabled all plugins firstly and reactivated the BPS modes. I  did not lock the Htaccess file, to start with (since it was locked) – not sure if I should have done this, but can do it next time, if need be.  Everything has turned green again accept for the Master files.

Should I back up the following files now as well? I am assuming so.

[obsolete-removed]

Finally,  If I am working on building my site, can I still operate in the BPS mode, or should I be putting my site into maintenance mode?  I already have an Under Construction/Maintenance mode plugin running, so I am not sure if there would be any conflict here?

AITpro Admin
    Keymaster

Master File backups are obsolete so it is up to you.  Many years ago it was important, but now it is not.  I deleted the Tags you added since they were too generic.  If I have responded to any Forum Topic the first thing I check are the Tags and change, modify or delete Tags as necessary.

If you already have a plugin that puts your site in Maintenance Mode then yes there would be a conflict so just use that plugin.  Basic rule of the WordPress plugin game is this – if you have 2 plugins doing the same exact thing there is going to be a problem – pick one or the other.

Techgirl
    Participant

Thanks for  the explanation.  That all makes sense to me now.  No worries about the tags, either.  🙂

Once I have my site up and running I will provide a review on WordPress.org for your plugin – very happy with it and the support that goes with it.  I think all my problems have been resolved for now.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.